Sep 19, 2013, 9:48 PM EDT
The Red Sox are headed back to the postseason for the first time since 2009.
John Lackey went the distance tonight in a 3-1 victory over the Orioles, helping the Red Sox clinch a spot in the playoffs. The win secured them at least a spot in the American League Wild Card game. Their magic number sits at two to win the American League East.
It’s fitting that the resurgent Lackey would be the one to get them there. The veteran right-hander gave up just two hits on the night while walking two and striking out eight. He didn’t allow his first hit until Adam Jones went deep for a solo homer with two outs in the seventh inning. After missing all of last season following Tommy John surgery, he now owns a 3.44 ERA and 156/39 K/BB ratio over 183 1/3 innings. Tonight’s complete game was his first as a member of the Red Sox. Remember when his contract was a disaster?
The Red Sox were a complete disaster under Bobby Valentine last season, finishing with a record of 69-93, but John Farrell has guided them to 93 wins so far this season. How’s that for some nifty symmetry?
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 240
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (240)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)