Sep 19, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT
At the end of August the Nationals traded David DeJesus to the Rays for a player to be named later. That player was named: left hander Matt Spann, a 2010 draft choice who has done alright in the Rays’ lower minor leagues.
But more importantly, Spann makes things nice and symmetrical in the double-N department for the Nats. Spann matches up nicely with Denard Span just as Jordan Zimmermann matches up nicely with Ryan Zimmerman. Indeed, an entire generation of Nats fans may grow up thinking that double-Ns mean a guy is a pitcher, single-Ns means a position player.
At least that’s what I’d tell my kids. Just after I told them how they determine the weight capacity of bridges.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 38
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)