Sep 19, 2013, 12:50 PM EST
At the end of August the Nationals traded David DeJesus to the Rays for a player to be named later. That player was named: left hander Matt Spann, a 2010 draft choice who has done alright in the Rays’ lower minor leagues.
But more importantly, Spann makes things nice and symmetrical in the double-N department for the Nats. Spann matches up nicely with Denard Span just as Jordan Zimmermann matches up nicely with Ryan Zimmerman. Indeed, an entire generation of Nats fans may grow up thinking that double-Ns mean a guy is a pitcher, single-Ns means a position player.
At least that’s what I’d tell my kids. Just after I told them how they determine the weight capacity of bridges.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)