Sep 19, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT
At the end of August the Nationals traded David DeJesus to the Rays for a player to be named later. That player was named: left hander Matt Spann, a 2010 draft choice who has done alright in the Rays’ lower minor leagues.
But more importantly, Spann makes things nice and symmetrical in the double-N department for the Nats. Spann matches up nicely with Denard Span just as Jordan Zimmermann matches up nicely with Ryan Zimmerman. Indeed, an entire generation of Nats fans may grow up thinking that double-Ns mean a guy is a pitcher, single-Ns means a position player.
At least that’s what I’d tell my kids. Just after I told them how they determine the weight capacity of bridges.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)