Sep 19, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT
The Tigers were given quite the scare this afternoon when Jose Iglesias was hit in the left hand by a pitch from Mariners reliever Tom Wilhelmsen in the bottom of the sixth inning, but it sounds like he’s going to be fine. According to Bobby Nightengale and Jason Beck of MLB.com, X-rays came back negative and Iglesias has been diagnosed with a contusion.
That’s a huge relief for Detroit, as it certainly had the look of a potentially serious injury. Iglesias immediately clutched at his hand and crouched to the ground in pain before leaving the field with team trainer Kevin Rand.
Iglesias is batting .276 with two home runs and 10 RBI in 42 games since being acquired from the Red Sox in three-team Jake Peavy trade in July. The Tigers are prepared to welcome back Jhonny Peralta from his Biogenesis suspension for the postseason, but he’s expected to do so as a left fielder.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)