Sep 19, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT
The Tigers were given quite the scare this afternoon when Jose Iglesias was hit in the left hand by a pitch from Mariners reliever Tom Wilhelmsen in the bottom of the sixth inning, but it sounds like he’s going to be fine. According to Bobby Nightengale and Jason Beck of MLB.com, X-rays came back negative and Iglesias has been diagnosed with a contusion.
That’s a huge relief for Detroit, as it certainly had the look of a potentially serious injury. Iglesias immediately clutched at his hand and crouched to the ground in pain before leaving the field with team trainer Kevin Rand.
Iglesias is batting .276 with two home runs and 10 RBI in 42 games since being acquired from the Red Sox in three-team Jake Peavy trade in July. The Tigers are prepared to welcome back Jhonny Peralta from his Biogenesis suspension for the postseason, but he’s expected to do so as a left fielder.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)