Sep 19, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT
The Tigers were given quite the scare this afternoon when Jose Iglesias was hit in the left hand by a pitch from Mariners reliever Tom Wilhelmsen in the bottom of the sixth inning, but it sounds like he’s going to be fine. According to Bobby Nightengale and Jason Beck of MLB.com, X-rays came back negative and Iglesias has been diagnosed with a contusion.
That’s a huge relief for Detroit, as it certainly had the look of a potentially serious injury. Iglesias immediately clutched at his hand and crouched to the ground in pain before leaving the field with team trainer Kevin Rand.
Iglesias is batting .276 with two home runs and 10 RBI in 42 games since being acquired from the Red Sox in three-team Jake Peavy trade in July. The Tigers are prepared to welcome back Jhonny Peralta from his Biogenesis suspension for the postseason, but he’s expected to do so as a left fielder.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 86
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 28
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)