Sep 20, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
Once Yankees starter Andy Pettitte made the announcement that he is calling it quits after the 2013 season ends, it seemed like everybody on planet Earth knew about it. Columns about the lefty’s Hall of Fame case were quickly scrawled and editorials about his history with performance-enhancing drug use made the rounds. One player, though, had no idea what was going on despite sharing the clubhouse with Pettitte from 2007-10 and again over the past two seasons: third baseman Alex Rodriguez.
Asked for a comment about Pettitte, A-Rod said “tell me what happened.” Reporters pointed to retirement presser on overhead TV. Didn’t know.
— Peter Botte (@PeterBotte) September 20, 2013
I wonder if he knows that Derek Jeter is still out with an ankle injury, or that the Yankees are three and a half games out of the second AL Wild Card.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)