Sep 20, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
Once Yankees starter Andy Pettitte made the announcement that he is calling it quits after the 2013 season ends, it seemed like everybody on planet Earth knew about it. Columns about the lefty’s Hall of Fame case were quickly scrawled and editorials about his history with performance-enhancing drug use made the rounds. One player, though, had no idea what was going on despite sharing the clubhouse with Pettitte from 2007-10 and again over the past two seasons: third baseman Alex Rodriguez.
Asked for a comment about Pettitte, A-Rod said “tell me what happened.” Reporters pointed to retirement presser on overhead TV. Didn’t know.
— Peter Botte (@PeterBotte) September 20, 2013
I wonder if he knows that Derek Jeter is still out with an ankle injury, or that the Yankees are three and a half games out of the second AL Wild Card.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 25
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 33
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)