Austin Romine still feels “off” 10 days after concussion

Sep 20, 2013, 4:05 PM EDT

Yankees's Romine is examined by Yankees staff and manager Girardi after getting hit in the helmet by a foul ball off the bat of Orioles' Jones during the eighth inning of their MLB American League baseball game in Baltimore Reuters

Austin Romine suffered a concussion on September 10 and remains sidelined, as the Yankees catcher told Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger that he still feels “off” even during pregame workouts.

The good news, according to McCullough, is that “he does not feel foggy or dizzy or hazy or any of the other more alarming descriptors for a man recovering from a concussion.” However, he is having balance problems and as Joe Mauer and so many other catchers have found out the hard way this season there’s no rushing the recovery from a brain injury.

Back on September 10, when Romine took a foul ball off the mask, Yankees manager Joe Girardi described the injury as a “slight concussion.” I’m sure Girardi meant no malice, but I’d really love if we could do away with that silly description or any other attempts to downplay the severity a brain injury.

1. larjones64 - Sep 20, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Cue the unwarranted Mauer is a pussy comments in 3,2,1….

• shaggylocks - Sep 20, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Man up, Mauer, and quit whining about your brain injury like a little girl.

Didn’t want to leave you hanging…

2. cackalackyank - Sep 20, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Really hope he is ok.

3. amaninwhite - Sep 20, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I’d type a reply, but my arm is slightly broken.

4. cadillacjosh - Sep 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I like that the sports world as a whole is taking brain injuries much more seriously.

5. dcarroll73 - Sep 21, 2013 at 1:52 AM

In fairness, I think Girardi has a bit of first-hand experience to bring to this (I expect a lot more than Aaron Gleeman.) Clearly he was not minimizing the seriousness (the Yanks are handling it reasonably) but rather putting it in the catcher-context that Joe knows VERY well.

6. theskinsman - Sep 21, 2013 at 5:03 AM

Bring in Cervelli…oh, A Rod’s cousin again? nevermind.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4963)