Sep 20, 2013, 4:05 PM EST
Austin Romine suffered a concussion on September 10 and remains sidelined, as the Yankees catcher told Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger that he still feels “off” even during pregame workouts.
The good news, according to McCullough, is that “he does not feel foggy or dizzy or hazy or any of the other more alarming descriptors for a man recovering from a concussion.” However, he is having balance problems and as Joe Mauer and so many other catchers have found out the hard way this season there’s no rushing the recovery from a brain injury.
Back on September 10, when Romine took a foul ball off the mask, Yankees manager Joe Girardi described the injury as a “slight concussion.” I’m sure Girardi meant no malice, but I’d really love if we could do away with that silly description or any other attempts to downplay the severity a brain injury.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)