Sep 20, 2013, 4:05 PM EDT
Austin Romine suffered a concussion on September 10 and remains sidelined, as the Yankees catcher told Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger that he still feels “off” even during pregame workouts.
The good news, according to McCullough, is that “he does not feel foggy or dizzy or hazy or any of the other more alarming descriptors for a man recovering from a concussion.” However, he is having balance problems and as Joe Mauer and so many other catchers have found out the hard way this season there’s no rushing the recovery from a brain injury.
Back on September 10, when Romine took a foul ball off the mask, Yankees manager Joe Girardi described the injury as a “slight concussion.” I’m sure Girardi meant no malice, but I’d really love if we could do away with that silly description or any other attempts to downplay the severity a brain injury.
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 37
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 25
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 9
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)