Sep 20, 2013, 4:05 PM EDT
Austin Romine suffered a concussion on September 10 and remains sidelined, as the Yankees catcher told Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger that he still feels “off” even during pregame workouts.
The good news, according to McCullough, is that “he does not feel foggy or dizzy or hazy or any of the other more alarming descriptors for a man recovering from a concussion.” However, he is having balance problems and as Joe Mauer and so many other catchers have found out the hard way this season there’s no rushing the recovery from a brain injury.
Back on September 10, when Romine took a foul ball off the mask, Yankees manager Joe Girardi described the injury as a “slight concussion.” I’m sure Girardi meant no malice, but I’d really love if we could do away with that silly description or any other attempts to downplay the severity a brain injury.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)