Sep 20, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Here’s a sentence that would have sounded pretty crazy back in spring training: Francisco Liriano is lined up to start the Wild Card play-in game for the Pirates.
Even crazier is that the Pirates may not need him to do that if they win the NL Central, but if Pittsburgh plays in the Wild Card playoff game Liriano would likely get the call, manager Clint Hurdle told Jenn Menendez of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette:
It’s an option that we’ve talked about. I think the way it lines up right now, if there were no changes, Liriano would be able to pitch a play-in game or the first wild-card game which isn’t a bad option to have if that’s where you end up going.
Liriano is 16-7 with a 2.92 ERA and 148 strikeouts in 148 innings and it’s also worth noting that he’s been historically dominant versus left-handed hitters this season, which would be a nice fit if the Pirates end up facing a Reds lineup that revolves around lefties Joey Votto, Shin-Soo Choo, and Jay Bruce.
Liriano has one career playoff start, back in 2010 against the Yankees in the ALDS. It was at Target Field in Minnesota and I was there and it was sad. But if the Pirates are going to put their season in the hands of one pitcher Liriano is a pretty easy pick.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)