Sep 20, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
Joe Mauer was in the middle of another excellent season when he took a hard foul ball off the mask on August 19. He suffered a concussion and a month later he remains on the disabled list as attempts to come back have been stymied by dizziness and other symptoms.
Mauer has spent most of this week working out at home, away from the team, and general manager Terry Ryan told Jeff Kirshman of MLB.com that the Twins are encouraged enough by his progress that a Monday return is possible.
At the time of the concussion Mauer was hitting .324 with an .880 OPS in 113 games while throwing out a league-high 43 percent of steal attempts. Mauer’s normal backup, Ryan Doumit, is no longer catching this season due to a concussion of his own, so the Twins are going with rookies Josmil Pinto and Chris Herrmann behind the plate.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 42
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)