Sep 20, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
Joe Mauer was in the middle of another excellent season when he took a hard foul ball off the mask on August 19. He suffered a concussion and a month later he remains on the disabled list as attempts to come back have been stymied by dizziness and other symptoms.
Mauer has spent most of this week working out at home, away from the team, and general manager Terry Ryan told Jeff Kirshman of MLB.com that the Twins are encouraged enough by his progress that a Monday return is possible.
At the time of the concussion Mauer was hitting .324 with an .880 OPS in 113 games while throwing out a league-high 43 percent of steal attempts. Mauer’s normal backup, Ryan Doumit, is no longer catching this season due to a concussion of his own, so the Twins are going with rookies Josmil Pinto and Chris Herrmann behind the plate.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (126)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)