Sep 20, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
Joe Mauer was in the middle of another excellent season when he took a hard foul ball off the mask on August 19. He suffered a concussion and a month later he remains on the disabled list as attempts to come back have been stymied by dizziness and other symptoms.
Mauer has spent most of this week working out at home, away from the team, and general manager Terry Ryan told Jeff Kirshman of MLB.com that the Twins are encouraged enough by his progress that a Monday return is possible.
At the time of the concussion Mauer was hitting .324 with an .880 OPS in 113 games while throwing out a league-high 43 percent of steal attempts. Mauer’s normal backup, Ryan Doumit, is no longer catching this season due to a concussion of his own, so the Twins are going with rookies Josmil Pinto and Chris Herrmann behind the plate.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)