Sep 20, 2013, 9:45 PM EST
The Phillies have shut down Kyle Kendrick for the remainder of the season, reports Chris Branch of the News Journal. Veteran journeyman Zach Miner, who has filled in for Kendrick once already on Wednesday, will take Kendrick’s remaining starts. The Phillies have “TBA” listed for Tuesday’s start against the Marlins. Assuming Miner starts then, he would be on track to pitch the final game of the season in Atlanta against the Braves as well.
Kendrick, dealing with tendinitis in his shoulder, last pitched a week ago, allowing six runs in four and one-third innings against the Nationals. He had an MRI on Tuesday after which the Phillies figured he would be able to make two more starts before the end of the season, but they decided to play it safe and shut him down rather than risk further damage. Kendrick will finish with a 4.70 ERA in 30 starts spanning 182 innings.
After impressing the club in each of the past two seasons — in 2011 as a swing-man; last year as a new-and-improved starter — and posting good numbers in the first half of 2013 (3.68 ERA), Kendrick’s second half has been abysmal (6.91 ERA). The timing couldn’t have been worse for the Phillies as he will enter his fourth and final year of arbitration after earning $4.5 million this season. During the off-season, GM Ruben Amaro will have to decide between non-tendering Kendrick, or keeping him around at a salary likely between $5-6 million. As the Phillies will also be weighing the pros and cons of keeping Roy Halladay around, Kendrick may prove superfluous in the team’s 2014 plans.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 115
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 41
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (115)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)