Sep 20, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Cubs closer Kevin Gregg went on a tirade in front of the media following this afternoon’s loss at the hands of the Braves at Wrigley Field. Gregg entered the top of the ninth to protect a 5-5 tie, but surrendered four runs in the inning en route to a 9-5 loss. After the game, he expressed displeasure that the Cubs were considering replacing him as closer in 2014, according to Fred Mitchell of the Chicago Tribune.
Yesterday, on ESPN Insider, Joe Kaiser reported that the Cubs were giving Pedro Strop a look in the closer’s role just to see what they had. Manager Dale Sveum was very complimentary of Gregg, who entered today’s game with a 2.90 ERA and 32 saves. Sveum said, “God knows where we’d be without him”.
Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein was not happy that Gregg publicized his complaints. The two had a meeting in Epstein’s office and Gregg apologized, but Epstein is still considering releasing him. Epstein will “sleep on it“.
The Cubs signed Gregg to a Minor League contract in April after the Dodgers released him. Incidentally, Gregg earned a $500,000 performance bonus for reaching his 50th finished game of the season, reports CSN Chicago’s Patrick Mooney.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 7
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 10
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 35
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 73
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)