Sep 20, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Cubs closer Kevin Gregg went on a tirade in front of the media following this afternoon’s loss at the hands of the Braves at Wrigley Field. Gregg entered the top of the ninth to protect a 5-5 tie, but surrendered four runs in the inning en route to a 9-5 loss. After the game, he expressed displeasure that the Cubs were considering replacing him as closer in 2014, according to Fred Mitchell of the Chicago Tribune.
Yesterday, on ESPN Insider, Joe Kaiser reported that the Cubs were giving Pedro Strop a look in the closer’s role just to see what they had. Manager Dale Sveum was very complimentary of Gregg, who entered today’s game with a 2.90 ERA and 32 saves. Sveum said, “God knows where we’d be without him”.
Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein was not happy that Gregg publicized his complaints. The two had a meeting in Epstein’s office and Gregg apologized, but Epstein is still considering releasing him. Epstein will “sleep on it“.
The Cubs signed Gregg to a Minor League contract in April after the Dodgers released him. Incidentally, Gregg earned a $500,000 performance bonus for reaching his 50th finished game of the season, reports CSN Chicago’s Patrick Mooney.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 6
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 30
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 10
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)