Sep 21, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
The once-strong Rangers have had a miserable September, entering tonight’s affair against the Royals with 14 losses in 18 games during the month. With recently-acquired starter Matt Garza on the hill, the Rangers made a strong effort in reversing their fortunes tonight.
The Rangers went up 3-0 early on Royals starter Jeremy Guthrie, scoring once in the first on an Elvis Andrus ground out, and twice in the third on Adrian Beltre‘s RBI single to center and A.J. Pierzynski‘s sacrifice fly. From there, Garza had all the run support he would need. The right-hander blanked the Royals over eight innings, finally relenting in the ninth when Eric Hosmer blasted a solo home run to left field. Overall, Garza allowed the one run on five hits and a walk while striking out five. Joe Nathan relieved Garza and recorded three easy outs for the 3-1 victory, his 40th save of the season.
With the loss, the Royals were eliminated from AL Central contention. For the Rangers, the victory ensures that the Athletics cannot clinch the AL West until tomorrow, following either their own win or a Rangers loss. Meanwhile, the Rangers remain a half-game behind the Indians for the second AL Wild Card. Alexi Ogando will start in tomorrow’s series finale in Kansas City. The Rangers return home for seven games to wrap up the season: three against the lowly Astros and four against the Angels.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)