Sep 21, 2013, 8:56 AM EDT
The Cardinals have themselves a little breathing room in the National League Central.
Though closer Edward Mujica struggled again and put the Brewers in position to tie the game in the bottom of the ninth inning, the Cardinals eventually won 7-6 in 10 innings. Carlos Beltran drove in the go-ahead run with a sacrifice fly while John Axford was victorious in his return to Milwaukee. Aramis Ramirez drove in five runs in a losing effort.
The Pirates imploded and lost to the Reds in 10 innings last night, so the Cardinals are now two games up in the division with eight to play. Their magic number sits at seven.
Your Friday box scores:
Astros 1, Indians 2 (7 innings)
Reds 6, Pirates 5 (10 innings)
Orioles 4, Rays 5 (18 innings)
Mariners 2, Angels 3 (11 innings)
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17