Sep 21, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
D.J. Short posted earlier about the O.co Coliseum’s latest sewage issue as a result of rain in the Oakland area. The showers caused a two-hour delay while players, coaches, and clubhouse personnel dealt with the primitive conditions indoors. Once play resumed, the A’s wasted no time getting on the board.
Alberto Callaspo contributed an RBI single in the first. In the second, Chris Young hit a sacrifice fly, Yoenis Cespedes singled to left to score two, then Callaspo slugged a two-run home run to left field to cap off a five-run inning.
From there, it was smooth sailing for Athletics starter Jarrod Parker. The right-hander went six strong innings, allowing just one run — a Josmil Pinto home run in the fifth — on four hits and a walk. He only struck out one Twin, but the Athletics were happy to play solid defense behind him. The offense continued to tack on, as Kurt Suzuki blasted a two-run home run in the seventh and Cespedes added a solo shot in the bottom of the eighth.
A’s relievers Dan Otero and Jerry Blevins teamed up for three shutout innings, finalizing the 9-1 victory. Moving to 92-63, the Athletics reduce their magic number to one. With the Rangers leading the Royals 3-0 late as of this writing, the Athletics will look to wrap up the AL West title tomorrow afternoon behind starter Sonny Gray.
- Cubs to acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 16
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)