Sep 21, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
D.J. Short posted earlier about the O.co Coliseum’s latest sewage issue as a result of rain in the Oakland area. The showers caused a two-hour delay while players, coaches, and clubhouse personnel dealt with the primitive conditions indoors. Once play resumed, the A’s wasted no time getting on the board.
Alberto Callaspo contributed an RBI single in the first. In the second, Chris Young hit a sacrifice fly, Yoenis Cespedes singled to left to score two, then Callaspo slugged a two-run home run to left field to cap off a five-run inning.
From there, it was smooth sailing for Athletics starter Jarrod Parker. The right-hander went six strong innings, allowing just one run — a Josmil Pinto home run in the fifth — on four hits and a walk. He only struck out one Twin, but the Athletics were happy to play solid defense behind him. The offense continued to tack on, as Kurt Suzuki blasted a two-run home run in the seventh and Cespedes added a solo shot in the bottom of the eighth.
A’s relievers Dan Otero and Jerry Blevins teamed up for three shutout innings, finalizing the 9-1 victory. Moving to 92-63, the Athletics reduce their magic number to one. With the Rangers leading the Royals 3-0 late as of this writing, the Athletics will look to wrap up the AL West title tomorrow afternoon behind starter Sonny Gray.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)