Sep 21, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
D.J. Short posted earlier about the O.co Coliseum’s latest sewage issue as a result of rain in the Oakland area. The showers caused a two-hour delay while players, coaches, and clubhouse personnel dealt with the primitive conditions indoors. Once play resumed, the A’s wasted no time getting on the board.
Alberto Callaspo contributed an RBI single in the first. In the second, Chris Young hit a sacrifice fly, Yoenis Cespedes singled to left to score two, then Callaspo slugged a two-run home run to left field to cap off a five-run inning.
From there, it was smooth sailing for Athletics starter Jarrod Parker. The right-hander went six strong innings, allowing just one run — a Josmil Pinto home run in the fifth — on four hits and a walk. He only struck out one Twin, but the Athletics were happy to play solid defense behind him. The offense continued to tack on, as Kurt Suzuki blasted a two-run home run in the seventh and Cespedes added a solo shot in the bottom of the eighth.
A’s relievers Dan Otero and Jerry Blevins teamed up for three shutout innings, finalizing the 9-1 victory. Moving to 92-63, the Athletics reduce their magic number to one. With the Rangers leading the Royals 3-0 late as of this writing, the Athletics will look to wrap up the AL West title tomorrow afternoon behind starter Sonny Gray.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)