Sep 21, 2013, 5:27 PM EDT
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, the Mets have decided to shut down Zack Wheeler after he complained of shoulder stiffness following his most recent start. The 22-year-old was slated to make one more start on Monday against the Reds, but that won’t happen now. The shoulder issue isn’t a major concern and won’t require an MRI, but Mets manager Terry Collins said that they don’t want to push it after what happened with Matt Harvey.
Wheeler made his major league debut in June and ended up posting a 3.42 ERA and 84/46 K/BB ratio over 100 innings. He faded a bit this month, walking 12 batters in 17 innings, but the Mets have to be pleased with what they saw during his first stint in the big leagues.
Wheeler will wrap up the year with 168 2/3 innings between the majors and minors, a 20-inning jump from what he threw last year between Double-A and Triple-A. If healthy, he should have a chance to progress to the 200-inning mark during his first full season in the majors next year.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 32
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 123
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (123)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)