Sep 21, 2013, 5:27 PM EST
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, the Mets have decided to shut down Zack Wheeler after he complained of shoulder stiffness following his most recent start. The 22-year-old was slated to make one more start on Monday against the Reds, but that won’t happen now. The shoulder issue isn’t a major concern and won’t require an MRI, but Mets manager Terry Collins said that they don’t want to push it after what happened with Matt Harvey.
Wheeler made his major league debut in June and ended up posting a 3.42 ERA and 84/46 K/BB ratio over 100 innings. He faded a bit this month, walking 12 batters in 17 innings, but the Mets have to be pleased with what they saw during his first stint in the big leagues.
Wheeler will wrap up the year with 168 2/3 innings between the majors and minors, a 20-inning jump from what he threw last year between Double-A and Triple-A. If healthy, he should have a chance to progress to the 200-inning mark during his first full season in the majors next year.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)