Sep 21, 2013, 12:38 PM EDT
Cole Hamels gave up six runs over seven innings last night as the Phillies lost 6-4 to the Mets at Citizens Bank Park. They fell to 71-82 on the year with the loss, clinching the franchise’s first losing season since 2002.
The Phillies finished 80-81 in 2002, which was followed by the best stretch of baseball in franchise history. This includes five straight NL East titles from 2007-2011, two World Series appearances, and one title. With an aging core and Charlie Manuel no longer at the helm, the Phillies find themselves in a period of transition, but interim manager Ryan Sandberg told John Finger of CSNPhilly.com that he is optimistic that the franchise will get back on the right track soon.
“It’s all part of going through this,” interim manager Ryne Sandberg said after the loss. “Sometimes it takes a losing season to build and start the process, and with that a lot of these guys have had a chance to play and gain experience and that’s where you start the rebuilding process. I think there are a lot of good things that have been going on the last few weeks.”
The Phillies are 18-15 since Sandberg replaced Manuel last month. He is expected to get the full-time job, though he may have a familiar face with him in the dugout next season.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 9
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (141)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)