Sep 21, 2013, 12:38 PM EST
Cole Hamels gave up six runs over seven innings last night as the Phillies lost 6-4 to the Mets at Citizens Bank Park. They fell to 71-82 on the year with the loss, clinching the franchise’s first losing season since 2002.
The Phillies finished 80-81 in 2002, which was followed by the best stretch of baseball in franchise history. This includes five straight NL East titles from 2007-2011, two World Series appearances, and one title. With an aging core and Charlie Manuel no longer at the helm, the Phillies find themselves in a period of transition, but interim manager Ryan Sandberg told John Finger of CSNPhilly.com that he is optimistic that the franchise will get back on the right track soon.
“It’s all part of going through this,” interim manager Ryne Sandberg said after the loss. “Sometimes it takes a losing season to build and start the process, and with that a lot of these guys have had a chance to play and gain experience and that’s where you start the rebuilding process. I think there are a lot of good things that have been going on the last few weeks.”
The Phillies are 18-15 since Sandberg replaced Manuel last month. He is expected to get the full-time job, though he may have a familiar face with him in the dugout next season.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (308)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)