Sep 21, 2013, 12:38 PM EDT
Cole Hamels gave up six runs over seven innings last night as the Phillies lost 6-4 to the Mets at Citizens Bank Park. They fell to 71-82 on the year with the loss, clinching the franchise’s first losing season since 2002.
The Phillies finished 80-81 in 2002, which was followed by the best stretch of baseball in franchise history. This includes five straight NL East titles from 2007-2011, two World Series appearances, and one title. With an aging core and Charlie Manuel no longer at the helm, the Phillies find themselves in a period of transition, but interim manager Ryan Sandberg told John Finger of CSNPhilly.com that he is optimistic that the franchise will get back on the right track soon.
“It’s all part of going through this,” interim manager Ryne Sandberg said after the loss. “Sometimes it takes a losing season to build and start the process, and with that a lot of these guys have had a chance to play and gain experience and that’s where you start the rebuilding process. I think there are a lot of good things that have been going on the last few weeks.”
The Phillies are 18-15 since Sandberg replaced Manuel last month. He is expected to get the full-time job, though he may have a familiar face with him in the dugout next season.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 44
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 4
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 57
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)