Sep 21, 2013, 9:31 AM EDT
The Rockies are poised to finish in last place for the second straight season, but first-time manager Walt Weiss is a near lock to be back in 2014.
Rockies owner Dick Monfort told Troy Renck of the Denver Post yesterday that they would like him to return. There have been no discussions yet, but it’s considered a formality.
“It was up to him. We are trying to figure out a way where the contract is not an issue. He’s done a good job. He’s improved, he’s been loyal,” Monfort said Friday during an exclusive interview with The Denver Post. “I have seen a lot of growth. I am pleased with him.”
Weiss was a surprise choice as manager last offseason, leaving his head coaching job at Regis Jesuit High School to join the Rockies. Many were scratching their heads when he received a one-year deal, but it sounds like he has earned some job security. For his part, Weiss said that he has enjoyed the experience and wants to come back for another season.
The Rockies started out hot this season and were five games over .500 in late May, but they have faded as the year has gone on. Injuries to Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki haven’t helped. Still, they have already secured a seven-game improvement from 2012.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)