Sep 21, 2013, 9:31 AM EST
The Rockies are poised to finish in last place for the second straight season, but first-time manager Walt Weiss is a near lock to be back in 2014.
Rockies owner Dick Monfort told Troy Renck of the Denver Post yesterday that they would like him to return. There have been no discussions yet, but it’s considered a formality.
“It was up to him. We are trying to figure out a way where the contract is not an issue. He’s done a good job. He’s improved, he’s been loyal,” Monfort said Friday during an exclusive interview with The Denver Post. “I have seen a lot of growth. I am pleased with him.”
Weiss was a surprise choice as manager last offseason, leaving his head coaching job at Regis Jesuit High School to join the Rockies. Many were scratching their heads when he received a one-year deal, but it sounds like he has earned some job security. For his part, Weiss said that he has enjoyed the experience and wants to come back for another season.
The Rockies started out hot this season and were five games over .500 in late May, but they have faded as the year has gone on. Injuries to Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki haven’t helped. Still, they have already secured a seven-game improvement from 2012.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)