Sep 21, 2013, 9:31 AM EDT
The Rockies are poised to finish in last place for the second straight season, but first-time manager Walt Weiss is a near lock to be back in 2014.
Rockies owner Dick Monfort told Troy Renck of the Denver Post yesterday that they would like him to return. There have been no discussions yet, but it’s considered a formality.
“It was up to him. We are trying to figure out a way where the contract is not an issue. He’s done a good job. He’s improved, he’s been loyal,” Monfort said Friday during an exclusive interview with The Denver Post. “I have seen a lot of growth. I am pleased with him.”
Weiss was a surprise choice as manager last offseason, leaving his head coaching job at Regis Jesuit High School to join the Rockies. Many were scratching their heads when he received a one-year deal, but it sounds like he has earned some job security. For his part, Weiss said that he has enjoyed the experience and wants to come back for another season.
The Rockies started out hot this season and were five games over .500 in late May, but they have faded as the year has gone on. Injuries to Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki haven’t helped. Still, they have already secured a seven-game improvement from 2012.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 28
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 59
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 113
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 106
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (113)