Sep 21, 2013, 9:31 AM EDT
The Rockies are poised to finish in last place for the second straight season, but first-time manager Walt Weiss is a near lock to be back in 2014.
Rockies owner Dick Monfort told Troy Renck of the Denver Post yesterday that they would like him to return. There have been no discussions yet, but it’s considered a formality.
“It was up to him. We are trying to figure out a way where the contract is not an issue. He’s done a good job. He’s improved, he’s been loyal,” Monfort said Friday during an exclusive interview with The Denver Post. “I have seen a lot of growth. I am pleased with him.”
Weiss was a surprise choice as manager last offseason, leaving his head coaching job at Regis Jesuit High School to join the Rockies. Many were scratching their heads when he received a one-year deal, but it sounds like he has earned some job security. For his part, Weiss said that he has enjoyed the experience and wants to come back for another season.
The Rockies started out hot this season and were five games over .500 in late May, but they have faded as the year has gone on. Injuries to Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki haven’t helped. Still, they have already secured a seven-game improvement from 2012.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 56
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 1
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 131
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (131)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)