Sep 22, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
This afternoon’s series finale between the Mariners and Angels was delayed for 23 minutes in the third inning due to a swarm of bees in the outfield. That didn’t stop Mariners starter Felix Hernandez from putting on a show in his first start since suffering a strained oblique.
Hernandez punched out 10 Angel batters in four innings, setting a record for strikeouts in a start lasting four or fewer innings. As the Mariners didn’t want to tax their phenom pitcher so soon after an injury, Hernandez was lifted from the game and reliever Oliver Perez pitched the fifth inning.
Watch the bees cause havoc below:
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)