Sep 22, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
This afternoon’s series finale between the Mariners and Angels was delayed for 23 minutes in the third inning due to a swarm of bees in the outfield. That didn’t stop Mariners starter Felix Hernandez from putting on a show in his first start since suffering a strained oblique.
Hernandez punched out 10 Angel batters in four innings, setting a record for strikeouts in a start lasting four or fewer innings. As the Mariners didn’t want to tax their phenom pitcher so soon after an injury, Hernandez was lifted from the game and reliever Oliver Perez pitched the fifth inning.
Watch the bees cause havoc below:
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 67
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11