Sep 22, 2013, 5:18 PM EST
Nationals starter Dan Haren surrendered eight hits and three earned runs over six innings in a 4-2 loss Sunday in Game 1 of a day-night doubleheader against the Marlins. Game 2 is scheduled to get underway at 7:05 p.m. ET, but it won’t matter much.
The Braves — by virtue of the Nats’ defeat — have clinched the National League East crown for the first time since 2005. MLB.com’s Mark Bowman was on the scene at Wrigley Field, where the Braves were finishing up a three-game series with the Cubs:
Some of the Braves pumped their fists and slapped hands between innings. They are well aware they have clinched the division.
— Mark Bowman (@mlbbowman) September 22, 2013
The Braves will host the Brewers for three games and the Phillies for four to finish out their regular-season schedule. They’ll be trying to retain home-field advantage (through the NLCS) from the Cardinals, who also clinched a playoff spot with the Nats’ loss.
Washington is all but mathematically eliminated from the National League Wild Card hunt, so it will likely be two National League Central teams duking it out in the NL Wild Card Game on October 3.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 18
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 59
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)