Sep 22, 2013, 5:18 PM EDT
Nationals starter Dan Haren surrendered eight hits and three earned runs over six innings in a 4-2 loss Sunday in Game 1 of a day-night doubleheader against the Marlins. Game 2 is scheduled to get underway at 7:05 p.m. ET, but it won’t matter much.
The Braves — by virtue of the Nats’ defeat — have clinched the National League East crown for the first time since 2005. MLB.com’s Mark Bowman was on the scene at Wrigley Field, where the Braves were finishing up a three-game series with the Cubs:
Some of the Braves pumped their fists and slapped hands between innings. They are well aware they have clinched the division.
— Mark Bowman (@mlbbowman) September 22, 2013
The Braves will host the Brewers for three games and the Phillies for four to finish out their regular-season schedule. They’ll be trying to retain home-field advantage (through the NLCS) from the Cardinals, who also clinched a playoff spot with the Nats’ loss.
Washington is all but mathematically eliminated from the National League Wild Card hunt, so it will likely be two National League Central teams duking it out in the NL Wild Card Game on October 3.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 9
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 75
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (277)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)