Sep 22, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
It’s Mariano Rivera Day at Yankee Stadium and the pregame tribute to the retiring Hall of Fame-bound closer could not have been cooler. Where to start?
Rivera got a big batch of gifts from the Yankees and the visiting San Francisco Giants, including another rocking chair made of bats, a crystal replica of his glove, a custom-designed guitar signed by Giants legend Willie Mays and a $100,000 check for the Mariano Rivera Foundation. Metallica played a live rendition of Mo’s walk-in song “Enter Sandman” and then gifted him a custom amp with his number on it.
Rivera also helped Rachel Robinson, the wife of Jackie Robinson, and her daughter Sharon, unveil a massive new No. 42 plaque at Monument Park.
No major leaguer will ever wear that number again once Mo throws the final pitch of his career.
“Thank you for 19 years of support,” Rivera told the emotional sold-out crowd at Yankee Stadium in a short-but-sweet speech. “It has been a great run, guys. You guys have been amazing. And you always have been here, for me and for the organization. And I will never forget that. You guys will have a part of my heart here in New York. And you have taken me in like one of you guys. And I do appreciate that.”
Jorge Posada, Bernie Williams, Paul O’Neill, Tino Martinez, Hideki Matsui, David Cone, John Wetteland and Jeff Nelson were among the baseball luminaries on hand. Joe Torre was also on-field for the ceremony.
Here’s a great photo of Mo walking in to the live playing of “Enter Sandman” from MLB Productions:
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)