Sep 22, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
It’s Mariano Rivera Day at Yankee Stadium and the pregame tribute to the retiring Hall of Fame-bound closer could not have been cooler. Where to start?
Rivera got a big batch of gifts from the Yankees and the visiting San Francisco Giants, including another rocking chair made of bats, a crystal replica of his glove, a custom-designed guitar signed by Giants legend Willie Mays and a $100,000 check for the Mariano Rivera Foundation. Metallica played a live rendition of Mo’s walk-in song “Enter Sandman” and then gifted him a custom amp with his number on it.
Rivera also helped Rachel Robinson, the wife of Jackie Robinson, and her daughter Sharon, unveil a massive new No. 42 plaque at Monument Park.
No major leaguer will ever wear that number again once Mo throws the final pitch of his career.
“Thank you for 19 years of support,” Rivera told the emotional sold-out crowd at Yankee Stadium in a short-but-sweet speech. “It has been a great run, guys. You guys have been amazing. And you always have been here, for me and for the organization. And I will never forget that. You guys will have a part of my heart here in New York. And you have taken me in like one of you guys. And I do appreciate that.”
Jorge Posada, Bernie Williams, Paul O’Neill, Tino Martinez, Hideki Matsui, David Cone, John Wetteland and Jeff Nelson were among the baseball luminaries on hand. Joe Torre was also on-field for the ceremony.
Here’s a great photo of Mo walking in to the live playing of “Enter Sandman” from MLB Productions:
- The Dodgers and Braves are deep into trade talks involving Juan Uribe and Alberto Callaspo 15
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 19
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 59
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)