Sep 22, 2013, 11:21 AM EST
Multiple baseball sources have told CSNPhilly.com Phillies Insider Jim Salisbury that the Phillies will remove the “interim” label from Ryne Sandberg’s job title on Sunday and name the Hall of Fame second baseman the club’s full-time manager.
Since replacing Charlie Manuel on Aug. 16, Sandberg has managed the Phillies to an 18-16 record.
This move was expected the moment Sandberg was named as Manuel’s replacement. It was only a matter of when the Phillies would officially make the announcement.
Sandberg was formally reintroduced at a press conference Sunday morning at Citizens Bank Park.
“Ryno is positive,” Phillies second baseman Chase Utley said of his new manager last Wednesday. “He’s always talking during the game. He’s definitely into the game, and guys respect him for that. He’s given a lot of guys an opportunity to play, which is nice. So far he’s done a great job.”
UPDATE, 11:34 a.m. ET: Salisbury says that Sandberg got a three-year deal with an option for 2017.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)