Sep 22, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
Multiple baseball sources have told CSNPhilly.com Phillies Insider Jim Salisbury that the Phillies will remove the “interim” label from Ryne Sandberg’s job title on Sunday and name the Hall of Fame second baseman the club’s full-time manager.
Since replacing Charlie Manuel on Aug. 16, Sandberg has managed the Phillies to an 18-16 record.
This move was expected the moment Sandberg was named as Manuel’s replacement. It was only a matter of when the Phillies would officially make the announcement.
Sandberg was formally reintroduced at a press conference Sunday morning at Citizens Bank Park.
“Ryno is positive,” Phillies second baseman Chase Utley said of his new manager last Wednesday. “He’s always talking during the game. He’s definitely into the game, and guys respect him for that. He’s given a lot of guys an opportunity to play, which is nice. So far he’s done a great job.”
UPDATE, 11:34 a.m. ET: Salisbury says that Sandberg got a three-year deal with an option for 2017.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 41
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)