Sep 22, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
Multiple baseball sources have told CSNPhilly.com Phillies Insider Jim Salisbury that the Phillies will remove the “interim” label from Ryne Sandberg’s job title on Sunday and name the Hall of Fame second baseman the club’s full-time manager.
Since replacing Charlie Manuel on Aug. 16, Sandberg has managed the Phillies to an 18-16 record.
This move was expected the moment Sandberg was named as Manuel’s replacement. It was only a matter of when the Phillies would officially make the announcement.
Sandberg was formally reintroduced at a press conference Sunday morning at Citizens Bank Park.
“Ryno is positive,” Phillies second baseman Chase Utley said of his new manager last Wednesday. “He’s always talking during the game. He’s definitely into the game, and guys respect him for that. He’s given a lot of guys an opportunity to play, which is nice. So far he’s done a great job.”
UPDATE, 11:34 a.m. ET: Salisbury says that Sandberg got a three-year deal with an option for 2017.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)