Sep 22, 2013, 1:01 AM EST
In the top of the ninth inning against the Angels, Mariners outfielder Raul Ibanez hit a solo home run to right field off of closer Ernesto Frieri. The blast was the 300th of Ibanez’s 18-year career, becoming the 137th player in Major League Baseball history to join the 300-homer club.
The home run was also the 29th of the season for Ibanez, tying Ted Williams for the most home runs hit in a single season by a 41-year-old player. Williams hit 29 in 1960, the final year of his career.
Ibanez also brought his slugging percentage up to .503. If he can keep it above .500 through the end of the season, he would be the first player since Barry Bonds in 2007 to post a .500 or better slugging percentage at the age of 40 or older (min. 450 plate appearances). Before Bonds, who also accomplished the feat in 2006, you have to go back to Harold Baines in 1999 to find the last occurrence. The Mariners, who brought Ibanez in on a one-year, $2.75 million deal, have certainly gotten their money’s worth out of the veteran.
Ibanez’s contribution was not enough for the Mariners, however. The solo shot brought them within one run at 6-5, but Frieri was able to shut the door for his 36th save of the season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)