Sep 22, 2013, 1:01 AM EST
In the top of the ninth inning against the Angels, Mariners outfielder Raul Ibanez hit a solo home run to right field off of closer Ernesto Frieri. The blast was the 300th of Ibanez’s 18-year career, becoming the 137th player in Major League Baseball history to join the 300-homer club.
The home run was also the 29th of the season for Ibanez, tying Ted Williams for the most home runs hit in a single season by a 41-year-old player. Williams hit 29 in 1960, the final year of his career.
Ibanez also brought his slugging percentage up to .503. If he can keep it above .500 through the end of the season, he would be the first player since Barry Bonds in 2007 to post a .500 or better slugging percentage at the age of 40 or older (min. 450 plate appearances). Before Bonds, who also accomplished the feat in 2006, you have to go back to Harold Baines in 1999 to find the last occurrence. The Mariners, who brought Ibanez in on a one-year, $2.75 million deal, have certainly gotten their money’s worth out of the veteran.
Ibanez’s contribution was not enough for the Mariners, however. The solo shot brought them within one run at 6-5, but Frieri was able to shut the door for his 36th save of the season.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)