Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

Sep 22, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT

alex cobb getty Getty Images

Let’s check in on those AL Wild Card standings.

The Rays got a 12-strikeout gem from right-hander Alex Cobb in a 5-1 victory Saturday over the Orioles to remain at the top of the leaderboard. That loss for the Orioles pushed them to 3 1/2 games back with only 8 games to play. The Indians picked up an easy 4-1 win over the Astros to remain second in the standings behind Tampa Bay and a 1/2-game up on the Rangers, who rode an impressive Matt Garza outing to a 3-1 defeat of the Royals. Kansas City, like Baltimore, is 3 1/2 games back. The Yankees won their second straight game over the Giants on Ivan Nova‘s second career shutout to stay 3 games back with 7 games left.

Got everything? Great. All six teams are in action this afternoon.

Your Saturday box scores and recaps:

Giants 0, Yankees 6

Orioles 1, Rays 5

Twins 1, Athletics 9

Braves 1, Cubs 3

Astros 1, Indians 4

Mets 5, Phillies 4

Reds 2, Pirates 4

Blue Jays 4, Red Sox 2

White Sox 6, Tigers 7 (12 innings)

Rangers 3, Royals 1

Cardinals 7, Brewers 2

Diamondbacks 7, Rockies 2

Dodgers 4, Padres 0

Mariners 5, Angels 6

1. proudlycanadian - Sep 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM

The Red Sox lost having cinched first place the day before as Buchholz lost his first game of the season. Some Sox fans might buy the Rotoworld explanation that the team was hung over following the celebration. Other Red Sox fans might point to the absence of Salty, Pedroia and Napoli from the starting 9. I prefer to think that the Jays won because Buehrle outpitched Buchholz. He reached the 200 inning mark for the thirteenth time in his career. He struck out 5 and walked none. Overall, the 4 Jays pitchers struck out 9 and walked none. Even though the Jays are without 5 starting players (due to injuries) from their batting order, they are playing to win against the playoff contenders. Dickey against Dubront today.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Yeah, that’s it man…keep bragging.

Those Jays sure defied expectations this year. Gotta find a glimmer of hope somewhere I suppose.

(sorry if I sound like dirtyharry1971, but I’ve gotta call bullshit on this one)

• proudlycanadian - Sep 22, 2013 at 12:01 PM

You are welcome to call it as you will.

2. johnnysoda - Sep 22, 2013 at 9:27 AM

And That Happened: Sunday Edition

Pirates 4, Reds 2: The Pirates manage to bounce back from Friday’s debacle to move to first in the Wild Card playoff race. Jason Grilli got his first save since July 21, while doing it relatively stress free.

Cardinals 7, Brewers 2: Pittsburgh couldn’t gain any ground on the Cardinals, though, as St. Louis exploded for five runs in the top of the 8th to put the game to bed.

Tigers 7, White Sox 6: The White Sox led 6-0 going into the bottom of the ninth, but watched it all whittle away before giving up the game winning RBI single to Omar Infante in the 12th. I’d imagine all the highlights of the game will feature the Tigers’ broadcast, which is a shame, ’cause I would love to hear how the Hawk reacted to all this.

Indians 4, Astros 1: Everyone’s been talking about the Red Sox’ turnaround this season, but lost in the shuffle is that the Indians have made a nice turn around themselves. Last year, they lost 94 games, now they’re in a wild card playoff spot. Scott Kazmir pitched very well here: (7 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 10 K).

Athletics 9, Twins 1: This game had a more than 2 hour rain delay, which I found strange, considering I’ve always imagined California as some place where it never rains in the summer, and the weather is always sunny and between 60*F and 80*F every day. Apparently not. Oakland’s magic number is down to 1 as their offense shellacks Minnesota for the second straight day.

Rays 5, Orioles 1: The Orioles don’t wanna fade away. No, they don’t wanna fade away. Tell me, what can they do, what can they say? ‘Cause darling, they don’t wanna fade away.

Yankees 6, Giants 0: Another great start from Ivan Nova (9 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K). He’s had more complete games this year than the rest of the Yankees staff combined. I wouldn’t be surprised if they skipped his next scheduled start to prepare for a potential Wild Card playoff spot.

Cubs 3, Braves 1: Atlanta was five outs away from clinching the NL East before the Cubs offense woke up for three in the eighth. There was a pretty amusing sign in front of a Chicago bar before the game: “Why clinch here? We hear Arizona throws a pool party”.

Mets 5, Phillies 4: I was in the Philadelphia area yesterday and thought about taking in this game, but figured with a bad weather forecast it was best not to go. Probably made the right call, as rain started to fall in the fourth inning and turned heavy in the seventh. As for the game itself, a rally by the Phillies came up short for the second straight night.

Rangers 3, Royals 1: Strong start from Matt Garza (8 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K) enabled Texas to hold their ground in the Wild Card playoff race. The Royals, meanwhile, edged closer to the end.

Diamondbacks 7, Rockies 2: An early offensive outburst by Arizona- including a three run homer from Matt Davison- enabled them to put the game away after only three innings.

Blue Jays 4, Red Sox 2: All good things must come to an end, and that includes Clay Buchholz’ unbeaten streak. Of course, had he not gotten hurt, it probably would’ve ended in late June or so, but still.

Dodgers 4, Padres 0: Clayton Kershaw tossed a gem (7 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 10 K) as Yasiel Puig crushed a titanic home run to center field in the 7th. Between Kershaw and Grienke, whoever plays the Dodgers in the NLDS will have tough hills to climb in the first two games.

Angels 6, Mariners 5: Raul Ibanez hits home run #300, but it wasn’t enough. Two of the runs in this game scored on a balk and a steal of home, respectively. Strange.

Marlins-Nationals PPD: I wanna knooooow
    Have you evah seen, da rrrrrain?
    I wanna knoooooow
    Have you evah seen, da rrrrrrain?
    Comin’ down, on a sunny day?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Yanks pretty much have to win out, they can’t skip a start after an outing like this (also because if they were going to skip anyone, it’d be Hughes).

• proudlycanadian - Sep 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Hughes will be skipped on Tuesday. Not sure what will happen in his scheduled start on Saturday against Houston.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 22, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Not sure what will happen in his scheduled start on Saturday against Houston.

Home runs, there will definitely be home runs.

• indaburg - Sep 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Another nice job. How do you feel about Aquaman?

3. indaburg - Sep 22, 2013 at 9:53 AM

The AL Wild Card remains interesting. The Yankees still face the Rays for one final series in the Bronx, so the Empire, while on life support, is still alive. A sweep against my boys, and not only will I be catatonic, but the Empire will be in great position for a Wild Card spot. The Indians have two games versus the White Sox, and four games against the Twins, so a WC spot is theirs to lose, with the easiest schedule among the top WC contenders. The Rangers have their turn at the lowly Astros for three games starting tomorrow so they also have an opportunity to regain some ground. Their last three games are versus the Angels, who’ve been playing better ball of late. Baltimore has been dealt a deadly blow losing the first two games to TB. It’s not mathematically impossible for them to be a WC, but it would take a baseball miracle. Today, they face the rookie Enny Romero–big fastball, poor mechanics. Hellboy was due to start today originally but Friday’s marathon required his impromptu appearance.

In other news, it’s been odd to see the Orioles offense so quiet. I was reading on another baseball blog (The Rays-centric Process Report) that the Rays seem to have figured out how to quiet Chris Davis, after his initial assault on the Rays the first series of the season. His line versus the Rays was .636/.692/1.727 that opening series. That is not a typo. His OPS was 2.419. I still haven’t fully recovered from that trauma, although our pitching staff has. In 58 plate appearances since that opening series, the Rays have held him to .224/.335/.388 and 13Ks. Decreasing fastballs, upping breaking balls and changeups, and keeping him from extending his arms seems to be the magic recipe. Not exactly rocket science, but it’s working.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 22, 2013 at 10:10 AM

In the all important loss column, the Yankees Orioles and Royals are all 4 games behind the Rays and 3 games behind the Indians and Rangers. The Yankees have 7 games left while the Orioles and Royals have 8 games left. Those 3 teams with 73 losses pretty much have to win out. The Indians have such an easy schedule that I doubt that they will falter. Both the Rays and Rangers have games left against teams that could give them trouble.

• Old Gator - Sep 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I’ll be giving a paper on Akira Kurosawa’s influence on the making of the original Godzilla (Gojira) in November at a culture and technology conference. Maybe to keep in the spirit of things, I ought to pin a photo of Chris Davis on my bulletin board, since Davis has been this season’s real kaiju. No point in getting soggy with nostalgia what with Matsui retired and dealing with his carpal tunnel problems. I thought you could only get those from typing. Ah well.

• phillyfrank - Sep 23, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Gator, will this be at a TEDx conference, and if so will there be video posted afterwards?

• historiophiliac - Sep 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I was hoping that your success at calming the Crush would mean Miggy would catch him in HR’s. :( Stupid injuries.

4. drewzducks - Sep 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I do find it fitting that the Sox were able to clinch the AL East vs. the same Blue Jays team that Farrell spurned in the offseason. I wonder if he will require that the inferiority complex riddled Toronto media types bow at his feet before asking him any questions.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I find it wonderful that the Red Sox have provided meaningful employment to so many homeless people. Well done Boston!

• drewzducks - Sep 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM

They hired the Toronto media ? I hope they have their temporary work visas in order. Now if the girls of Zanzibar are in need of additional income no paperwork is required.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 22, 2013 at 1:19 PM

The Zanzibar Tavern in Toronto is a strip joint that has been allegedly frequented by A-Rod and other visiting baseball players. The media allegedly go to Jilly’s.

5. paperlions - Sep 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Matt Adams since Allen Craig sprained his ankle: .358 OBP, .672 SLG, .441 wOBA, 188 wRC+

When he plays every day (rather than being used primarily as a pinch hitter, resulting in him facing a lot of lefty specialists), the dude rakes. Craig should play a lot more OF next year, with no chance of Beltran returning.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM

The big guy has been very impressive. Nice to have someone like that available to step up to the plate.

• historiophiliac - Sep 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Those Duck Dynasty dudes are throwing out the first pitch at Comerica today, FYI. I have no idea how that relates to the Tigers, but I thought you’d care.

• paperlions - Sep 22, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Oh jeez….that’ll be nice….apparently, every year the Cardinals have some kind of Christian Day at the Ballpark event….the headliner this year was Willie Robertson from DD.

• historiophiliac - Sep 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I really don’t know who they are. If I saw them at the park, I’d just assume they were BloSox prospects. I didn’t know they were religious. I thought the show was about hunting/guns. I didn’t realize there was a Jesus factor.

• paperlions - Sep 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM

There isn’t much of a religious factor above and beyond the typical background level of superstition.

6. Old Gator - Sep 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM

The Feesh and the Gnats were Noahed out last night, R-r-right? The Feesh’s larval starter didn’t go four shutout innings and then implode like Reverend Green’s tent, leaving the bases loaded for A J Ramos to allow two of whom to score on a fielding and then throwing error by whomever the non-third baseman would have been, resulting in a new Gnat at second and a used one at third, and the Feesh eighth inning rally didn’t fall two runs short when Tweeter didn’t pop out with the tying and winning runs in scoring position. If you’re a Feesh fan – are there any of you left out there, aside from the obvious – you could only be so grateful that it rained.

7. historiophiliac - Sep 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM

What. A. Game! I had pretty much assumed a loss last night. It was Sale v. Porcello. Be honest; you thought the same when you saw that. Still, it was at home and if Good Porcello showed up, it might be okay. Holy crap! Good Porcello showed up. Nine SO — nine. No walks. Boy was good. Our offense just couldn’t seem — as usual — to make any headway against Sale. When he took the mound again in the 8th, I was like: well, crap. If we’re gonna score, we need to see their bullpen. Thankfully, the ChiSox quickly complied. We don’t usually come back from big losses like that (the announcers said the last time was 1947), so I was not optimistic going into the 9th. I was multi-tasking at that point. I even took my hat off. We scored a couple and I was glad we wouldn’t get skunked at least. But, then, Dirks hit a big boom and I was pacing the floor after that. The win was achievable. (BTW, I was thrilled that the rally started with the guys on the lower end of the batting order and not the first five.) The 10th was frustrating. The 11th was frustrating. My O’s buddy texted me: don’t go to 18. And then in the 12th…and then…I would love to say it was all due to fantastic hitting and great hustling, but the truth is that the ChiSox pitchers were not good. We benefitted from a lot of walks and grapefruit tosses. Four of our players walked in the 9th and three in the 12th. We didn’t have to work that hard there to get men in scoring position. It only took singles, doubles and some groundouts (except for Dirks’ homer) from there, pretty much. The ChiSox got sloppy and the outcome is exactly why you do not do that with the Tigers.

There’s a lot of excitement about clinching today, but I’m skeptical. I think it more likely that it happens in Minnesota. So, do our guys mob the Golden Glove in celebration there or hit the “bonfire”? More importantly, what kind of team doesn’t have a celebration pool in Minnesota? Lame. Eat ‘em up, Tigers!

• indaburg - Sep 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Your O’s buddy gave you good advice. Going 18 is for golf. Nice comeback by your boys, and yes, good to see from production from the non-usual suspects. Good luck today–hope your boys clinch.

• historiophiliac - Sep 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM

That would require an Astros win, so I wouldn’t put money on it — no offense to stex.

• indaburg - Sep 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Oh. Astros win. Right. Never mind. He won’t be offended.

8. jwbiii - Sep 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Updated playoff percentages:

Team     FG   B-Pro   Schedule
    TBR*   77.3    80.8   2 Bal, 3 @NYY, 3 @Tor
    Cle*   66.7    59.0   1 Hou, 2 ChW, 4 @Min
    Tex    51.1    56.1   1 @KCR, 3 Hou, 4 LAA
    NYY     3.0     1.8   1 SFG, 3 TBR, 3 @Hou
    KCR     0.9     1.4   1 Tex, 3 @Sea, 4 @ChW
    Bal     1.0     0.9   2 @TBR, 3 Tor, 3 Bos

WsN     1.5     1.2   2 Mia, 3 @StL, 3 @Ari

Two of the top teams beat two of the teams on the bottom. Bad news for the Orioles and Royals. With the Nationals/Marlins game rained out, we get an old fashioned Sunday doubleheader. Except with split admissions, I guess.

Elimination news: The Angels are out. The Nationals have a tragic number of 4; the Royals and Orioles are at 5.

*Holds wild card berth

• historiophiliac - Sep 22, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Looks like the O’s close with the toughest schedule. Dang.

9. APBA Guy - Sep 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Today could be the day the A’s clinch. Gorgeous weather, should be a big crowd for the last A’s home game of 2013 regular season. Three more HR’s last night for the Beloved A’s. My opinion: Houston is better right now than Minnesota.

• historiophiliac - Sep 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Your lips to God’s ears.

• Old Gator - Sep 22, 2013 at 2:21 PM

The great Hindu sage Sri Ramarakrishna, when asked to talk about God, used to reply “Sure, would you like to talk about him with attributes (sirguna Brahman) or without attributes (nirguna Brahman)?”

I must admit that the idea of God with ears cracks me up. Turtles don’t have any and they get along just fine, thank you. I’ll skip the attributes.

• historiophiliac - Sep 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Grandmother Turtle hears and speaks, and she holds the world up on her back.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet