Sep 22, 2013, 8:55 AM EST
Let’s check in on those AL Wild Card standings.
The Rays got a 12-strikeout gem from right-hander Alex Cobb in a 5-1 victory Saturday over the Orioles to remain at the top of the leaderboard. That loss for the Orioles pushed them to 3 1/2 games back with only 8 games to play. The Indians picked up an easy 4-1 win over the Astros to remain second in the standings behind Tampa Bay and a 1/2-game up on the Rangers, who rode an impressive Matt Garza outing to a 3-1 defeat of the Royals. Kansas City, like Baltimore, is 3 1/2 games back. The Yankees won their second straight game over the Giants on Ivan Nova‘s second career shutout to stay 3 games back with 7 games left.
Got everything? Great. All six teams are in action this afternoon.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
White Sox 6, Tigers 7 (12 innings)
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)