Sep 22, 2013, 8:55 AM EST
Let’s check in on those AL Wild Card standings.
The Rays got a 12-strikeout gem from right-hander Alex Cobb in a 5-1 victory Saturday over the Orioles to remain at the top of the leaderboard. That loss for the Orioles pushed them to 3 1/2 games back with only 8 games to play. The Indians picked up an easy 4-1 win over the Astros to remain second in the standings behind Tampa Bay and a 1/2-game up on the Rangers, who rode an impressive Matt Garza outing to a 3-1 defeat of the Royals. Kansas City, like Baltimore, is 3 1/2 games back. The Yankees won their second straight game over the Giants on Ivan Nova‘s second career shutout to stay 3 games back with 7 games left.
Got everything? Great. All six teams are in action this afternoon.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
White Sox 6, Tigers 7 (12 innings)
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 16
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 63
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- Robinson Cano, Yankees trade barbs about “disrespect” (104)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (100)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)