Sep 22, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
Let’s check in on those AL Wild Card standings.
The Rays got a 12-strikeout gem from right-hander Alex Cobb in a 5-1 victory Saturday over the Orioles to remain at the top of the leaderboard. That loss for the Orioles pushed them to 3 1/2 games back with only 8 games to play. The Indians picked up an easy 4-1 win over the Astros to remain second in the standings behind Tampa Bay and a 1/2-game up on the Rangers, who rode an impressive Matt Garza outing to a 3-1 defeat of the Royals. Kansas City, like Baltimore, is 3 1/2 games back. The Yankees won their second straight game over the Giants on Ivan Nova‘s second career shutout to stay 3 games back with 7 games left.
Got everything? Great. All six teams are in action this afternoon.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
White Sox 6, Tigers 7 (12 innings)
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)