Sep 22, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
Let’s check in on those AL Wild Card standings.
The Rays got a 12-strikeout gem from right-hander Alex Cobb in a 5-1 victory Saturday over the Orioles to remain at the top of the leaderboard. That loss for the Orioles pushed them to 3 1/2 games back with only 8 games to play. The Indians picked up an easy 4-1 win over the Astros to remain second in the standings behind Tampa Bay and a 1/2-game up on the Rangers, who rode an impressive Matt Garza outing to a 3-1 defeat of the Royals. Kansas City, like Baltimore, is 3 1/2 games back. The Yankees won their second straight game over the Giants on Ivan Nova‘s second career shutout to stay 3 games back with 7 games left.
Got everything? Great. All six teams are in action this afternoon.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
White Sox 6, Tigers 7 (12 innings)
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)