Sep 22, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
Shin-Soo Choo was held out of the Reds’ lineup on Saturday and is not playing Sunday due to a jammed left thumb that he suffered Friday night in Pittsburgh when he tried to beat out an infield single by diving into first base. But the situation is rapidly improving.
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that X-rays turned up negative Sunday morning on Choo’s left thumb and he is aiming to return to action for Monday night’s series-opener against the Mets back at Great American Ballpark. ”That eased my mind,” Choo said of the negative X-ray results. “Was worried.”
Choo is hitting .283/.423/.462 with 21 home runs, 18 stolen bases and 105 runs scored in 148 games this season. The Reds open play Sunday as a veritable lock for one of the National League Wild Card spots.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17