Sep 22, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
Shin-Soo Choo was held out of the Reds’ lineup on Saturday and is not playing Sunday due to a jammed left thumb that he suffered Friday night in Pittsburgh when he tried to beat out an infield single by diving into first base. But the situation is rapidly improving.
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that X-rays turned up negative Sunday morning on Choo’s left thumb and he is aiming to return to action for Monday night’s series-opener against the Mets back at Great American Ballpark. “That eased my mind,” Choo said of the negative X-ray results. “Was worried.”
Choo is hitting .283/.423/.462 with 21 home runs, 18 stolen bases and 105 runs scored in 148 games this season. The Reds open play Sunday as a veritable lock for one of the National League Wild Card spots.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 8
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 162
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 6
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (163)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)