Sep 23, 2013, 10:26 PM EDT
Rangers outfielder Alex Rios became the third player this year to hit for the cycle Monday, doing so in just six innings against the hapless Astros.
Oddly enough, all three cycles this year have been contained entirely within the AL West. The Angels’ Mike Trout had one in May against the Mariners, and the Astros’ Brandon Barnes delivered one in July, also versus Seattle.
It hadn’t been too long since the Rangers had experienced a cycle: Adrian Beltre had one last August.
Rios now has 30 doubles, four triples and 18 homers this season. He’s hit .288 with six homers and 13 steals in 160 at-bats since the Rangers acquired him from the White Sox last month.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 53
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)