Sep 23, 2013, 8:58 PM EST
Today was a painful day for the Orioles. In addition to being swept by the Rays and losing third baseman Manny Machado due to a scary leg injury, Alexi Casilla was forced to exit after he collided head-first into Nick Markakis‘ leg while attempting to make a diving catch in the seventh inning.
Casilla nearly made a remarkable catch on the play, but the ball popped out of his glove as a result of the collision. Despite laying on the ground for several moments and looking quite woozy, he finished the inning before leaving the game. According to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com, Casilla will undergo a CT scan to determine whether he has a concussion. He’ll remain in Tampa Bay overnight rather than fly back to Baltimore with the rest of the team.
Casilla, 29, is batting .214/.268/.295 with one home run, 10 RBI, and nine stolen bases in 62 games this season.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 48
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 38
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 57
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 47
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)