Sep 23, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
Today was a painful day for the Orioles. In addition to being swept by the Rays and losing third baseman Manny Machado due to a scary leg injury, Alexi Casilla was forced to exit after he collided head-first into Nick Markakis‘ leg while attempting to make a diving catch in the seventh inning.
Casilla nearly made a remarkable catch on the play, but the ball popped out of his glove as a result of the collision. Despite laying on the ground for several moments and looking quite woozy, he finished the inning before leaving the game. According to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com, Casilla will undergo a CT scan to determine whether he has a concussion. He’ll remain in Tampa Bay overnight rather than fly back to Baltimore with the rest of the team.
Casilla, 29, is batting .214/.268/.295 with one home run, 10 RBI, and nine stolen bases in 62 games this season.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 0
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 16
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 50
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 62
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)