Brian Cashman won’t try to talk Andy Pettitte out of retiring

Sep 23, 2013, 2:50 PM EST

Andy Pettitte AP

Andy Pettitte has retired and then unretired before, but Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger that he won’t try to change the 41-year-old left-hander’s mind because “I know that I won’t be able to convince him like I’ve done in the past.”

On the other hand, manager Joe Girardi has previously said–somewhat jokingly, I’m sure–that he’ll definitely give Mariano Rivera a call this winter just to see if he can talk the future Hall of Famer into coming back for another season.

Pettitte has certainly seen his performance slip more than Rivera has, but he’s still an effective mid-rotation starter with a 3.88 ERA and 123/.46 K/BB ratio in 176 innings this season. Pettitte, who makes his home in Texas, will take the mound for the final time in Houston this weekend.

1. pastabelly - Sep 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM

He could bring back Bartolo Colon (ducking) instead.

2. TheMorningStar - Sep 23, 2013 at 3:42 PM

He should give Aaron Small a call; it fits Cashman’s recent M.O. perfectly: cheap and terrible.

3. mybrunoblog - Sep 23, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Andy P is done this time. No talking him out of anything. It’s been a great run. 8 pennants and 5 championships. A wonderful career and wealth to last in his family for generations. So long Andy we”ll miss you.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 23, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I stopped believing that sort of talk the first 3 times Brett Farve “retired”. Not saying that Andy will be any different, but I’ve taken a “I’ll believe it when I see it” approach these days.

4. drewzducks - Sep 23, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Then I’m guessing he DID lose Brian McNamee’s phone number.

5. bigdaddy44 - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Maybe Cashman could talk him into telling the truth instead.

6. caeser12 - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Brian Cashman won’t try to talk Andy Pettitte out of retiring, because he may not have a job with the Yankees next year.

Fixed.

Go NY.

7. badintent - Sep 23, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Just bring Andy back for one game. Red Sox. Four pitches to hit Nap .

8. mdmaag - Sep 24, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Andy should retire, he overstayed his career.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3927)
  2. J. Kang (3376)
  3. J. Upton (2900)
  4. C. McGehee (2843)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2819)
  1. M. Kemp (2764)