Sep 23, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
And performance-wise there’s certainly no reason for him to call it quits, as Hawkins has thrown 68 innings with a 3.06 ERA and 53/10 K/BB ratio that stands out as the best of his two-decade career.
Hawkins was a bust as a starter and then as a closer with the Twins early in his career, but settled in as one of the most consistently solid right-handed setup men in baseball for the past dozen years or so. He has a 3.09 ERA in 711 total innings since 2002 and has had an ERA above 4.00 just twice during that time. He’s been closing for the Mets in Bobby Parnell‘s absence, but expect Hawkins to land another setup gig.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (151)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)