Sep 23, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
The Orioles declined to go into detail about the injury after the game, but they said the plan was for Machado to travel home with the team and undergo an MRI on Tuesday.
While injuries of this nature typically happen on bang-bang plays at first base where the runner is trying to stretch that extra bit, Machado had eased up and was watching the ball, which had skipped away, as his left foot hit the side of the bag and rolled. He immediately went down in pain and was clearly in agony as he was being attended to.
The injury will obviously keep Machado sidelined for the rest of 2013, and the Orioles can only hope it’s not something that’s going to linger into next year. The 21-year-old Machado has established himself as one of the game’s very best young players while hitting .282/.313/.431 with 14 homers and 51 doubles and playing Gold Glove defense at third base this year.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)