Sep 23, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
The Orioles declined to go into detail about the injury after the game, but they said the plan was for Machado to travel home with the team and undergo an MRI on Tuesday.
While injuries of this nature typically happen on bang-bang plays at first base where the runner is trying to stretch that extra bit, Machado had eased up and was watching the ball, which had skipped away, as his left foot hit the side of the bag and rolled. He immediately went down in pain and was clearly in agony as he was being attended to.
The injury will obviously keep Machado sidelined for the rest of 2013, and the Orioles can only hope it’s not something that’s going to linger into next year. The 21-year-old Machado has established himself as one of the game’s very best young players while hitting .282/.313/.431 with 14 homers and 51 doubles and playing Gold Glove defense at third base this year.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (221)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)