Manny Machado suffers severe leg injury versus Rays

Sep 23, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT

All-Star third baseman Manny Machado injured his left knee stepping awkwardly on first base in the seventh inning Monday and had to be carted off the field in the loss to the Rays.

The Orioles declined to go into detail about the injury after the game, but they said the plan was for Machado to travel home with the team and undergo an MRI on Tuesday.

While injuries of this nature typically happen on bang-bang plays at first base where the runner is trying to stretch that extra bit, Machado had eased up and was watching the ball, which had skipped away, as his left foot hit the side of the bag and rolled. He immediately went down in pain and was clearly in agony as he was being attended to.

The injury will obviously keep Machado sidelined for the rest of 2013, and the Orioles can only hope it’s not something that’s going to linger into next year. The 21-year-old Machado has established himself as one of the game’s very best young players while hitting .282/.313/.431 with 14 homers and 51 doubles and playing Gold Glove defense at third base this year.

1. unclemosesgreen - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:03 PM

It looked really bad – tough luck for the kid – I’ve truly enjoyed his talent and real joy for the game. Best of luck for a complete recovery.

• cur68 - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Looks very similar to how I broke the end off my tibia: landed with all my weight to the inside of my left knee (I was riding a mechanical bull…). Damn painful.
      Hope he’s going to be ok.

• unclemosesgreen - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Given that I did a totally displaced tibial plateau fracture 22 days ago it was still a little fresh in the memory and the replay made me throw up in my mouth a little. I swallowed it back down so as not to lose any dilaudid.

I wish I’d been doing something kick- ass like riding a mechanical bull. I jumped into a golf sand trap on the high side like the complete dumb-ass that I often resemble. When you fell off the bull were you stuck in Calgary or something?

• cur68 - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Well…it may not be TOTALLY truthful to say “mechanical bull”….in fact…its not AT ALL truthful…I USED to tell people “Shark Attack”…

In fact, I beat you for “Dumb Way To Break The End Off Your Tibia” Award. I was playing soccer with my dog. I leapt over her to get to the ball first, came down with my left foot in a gopher hole and heard my knee break as all my weight hit the inside of it. It was a loud crack. I’d have cried if I hadn’t immediately gone into shock.

I WISH I had done it while golfing…..

• unclemosesgreen - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Thx for the honesty – the fact remains that I need to come up with a better story.

• cur68 - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Indaburg suggested I go with “So, I was riding a Mechanical Bull…”

Given that yours sounds MUCH worse than mine, I herby abdicate the Mechanical Bull Story in favour of you using it. I’m going back to “Shark Attack”. The complete and total absence of Ocean on the Alberta Prairie never hurt that story at all. Good luck with that knee.

Of course Machado has a better story than BOTH of us;
        “So, when I was the All Star, starting 3B for the Baltimore Orioles, I was busting it down the line, trying to reach base and help get my team a playoff berth…”
        I sure hope the kid’s gonna be ok.

• unclemosesgreen - Sep 23, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Geographically speaking – you should keep the bull & I’m going with Sharknado.

• cur68 - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:14 PM

In fact, my knee wasn’t as bad as yours, either. I avulsed a chunk out of the tibial head. Didn’t even need surgery. Just immobilized it in a zimmer splint for 6 weeks. Sounds like you ripped the head of the tibia right off. That shit is bad. Hope it heals up ok. You had it operated on, I hope?

• unclemosesgreen - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Plates pins & screws – oh yes.

• indaburg - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM

To be fair, cur, your dog is like the Gianluigi Buffon of dogs. She’s an excellent goalie.

Unclemoses, you could always say you got hurt by some sting rays…

• historiophiliac - Sep 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM

bahahahahahahahahahaaahahahah

Urban Cowboy

bahahahahahahahahahahaaha

• unclemosesgreen - Sep 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I’d sooner pin that injury on jellyfish than Rays. No one’s afraid of Rays. Not no one.

• chrisernst82 - Sep 24, 2013 at 5:00 AM

mmmmm…dilaudid…that stuff is delicious

• indaburg - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Ditto.

Speaking of injuries, how’s yours?

• unclemosesgreen - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Progressing nicely thx – immobilizer to hinged brace – 7 weeks til partial weight bearing.

• dickclydesdale - Sep 24, 2013 at 2:14 AM

He had a good career. Yes its over but He can now audition to play spock in the star trek movies.

2. edouble86 - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Definitely looked like his knee. It buckled inward as his left leg hit the bag. Not good. Sick to my stomach as an O’s fan.

3. pisano - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:07 PM

This kid has greatness written all over him, I hope this is nothing serious. Good luck to him, and a speedy recovery.

4. sabatimus - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:08 PM

At first I thought it was a bad high-ankle sprain or break, but then I saw what his knee did. Brutal. At least bad ligament sprains or tears. Hope the talented kid recovers.

• sabatimus - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Also, it looked like he wanted to cry while on the stretcher. That alone seems to indicate something really bad.

5. Matthew Pouliot - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Not going to embed, but here’s the GIF of the injury made by Cork Gaines:

• proudlycanadian - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I can be very squeamish. I do not want to look at it. I join the others in wishing him a complete recovery.

• mybrunoblog - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Wow that’s hard to watch. At least he will have 6 months to recover.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Terrible to see anyone go down. But to see a young (soon to be bona fide) star go down?
      Not good for the game at all. Even worse for Machado of course. And that injury looks bad. Real bad. His ankle/foot was all “floppy.” Can find a better word.
      It’s floppy. Floppy is always bad.

6. deman951 - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:27 PM

The Orioles have bad luck against the Rays. The first game of the year against them Brian Roberts gets hurt and is out 1/2 the year and now the last game of the year against them Machado messes his knee up.

7. gothapotamus90210 - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Terrible to see. All of baseball is at a loss with such a dynamic, young talent incurring a major injury like this.

8. mekahldownish - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Ouch. Flashbacks of when I tore my ACL. Good luck Manny.

9. detectivejimmymcnulty - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Tough to see anyone go down like that. Baseball needs guys like Machado healthy.

10. indaburg - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM

It was awful to see live. My best wishes for a speedy recovery–he’s such a great talent. Hopefully it’s one of those things that look worse than they really are.

• raysfan1 - Sep 23, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Absolutely.

I also hear Casillas is staying behind for observation. That sounds to me like he may have sustained a concussion. That’s two O’s whom I sincerely hope are not seriously hurt today.

• indaburg - Sep 23, 2013 at 9:35 PM

As I was watching game, I questioned the Orioles for not immediately taking Casilla out the game. When he hit went down, he was clearly unconscious for several seconds. While I was glad the Rays got the sweep, the happiness is definitely muted by those injuries.

• unclemosesgreen - Sep 23, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Indie – totally agree on Casilla – he was clearly KTFO by Markakis’ quad. He was out, his legs went stiff. Terrible terrible job by the training staff letting him stay in for even one more play. For what it’s worth I believe the head trainer was still with Machado, but still, some things are simple. Get knocked out – leave the game. Who cares who plays second base.

11. peddealer - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Damn what a sick injury!

I remember when this happened to Ruben Matteo whom my Rangers foolishly didn’t trade for Clemens back when he was with the jays…

Here’s to hoping he has a speedy recovery and continue being a part of the new wave of incredibly talented young ball players in the MLB!

12. 8man - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Horrific day for the Os and their fans. Great young talent injured in hideous fashion, a two run lead blown because of a misfortunate bloop and finally a walk off loss that essentially ruins any post season hopes.

Next year. Better and bolder.

13. scoobies05 - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:45 PM

o’s fan here. best wishes to manny(and all the rest of you) for a full and speedy recovery!

14. chill1184 - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Just watched the video, brutal. Get well Machado

15. phillyphil005 - Sep 23, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Just a question here…why are we still using raised bags for bases?

Pretty simple to come up with something that won’t cause you to trip, fall, break or tear something.

• unclemosesgreen - Sep 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Like say, home plate?

• peterjohnjoseph - Sep 23, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Even if the base was pyramidal, with a square top, so that the sides became flush with ground, and the top was raised. Nothing to catch on. Just a slight ramp upwards to the top of the bag, plus, a nice angled place to put your foot on to get a jump on the run.

/¨¨¨\ Just slightly less sloped, with a wider top, and four sided. The sides only have to be an inch or two in length, its just the point of not having anything sticking directly up from the ground.

I will receive nothing when the MLB see’s this and completely takes the design. If they do.. fyi, I am a designer. I could at least draw the thing.

No? Ok.

• smallpapi - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM

peterjohnjoseph, that probably has to be the best write up regarding the bases. I am surprised how there are not more ankle rolls and knee blow outs because of the bases being they way they are. Today’s athlete go full force into that base and God forbid you miss the base awkwardly. MLB listen to this man and get his design and make it happen.

• cur68 - Sep 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM

he base stealers might have a problem with it. Billy Hamilton et al who are REAL quick use the raised bag like a catch point to slow down and stop. Other than that, you make an excellent point about a flush to the ground bag.

16. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Absolutely devastating. If you had asked me two days ago what the nightmare situation would be, the absolutely worst thing that could happen to this franchise; well this would be it. All we can do right now is hope and pray that he will return quickly and will return to his former self. The good thing is he’s young, so he may be able to recover quicker than if he had several more years of wear and tear on him. Stay strong Manny, you have an entire city rallying behind you!

17. walterwhite1976 - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Horrible Injury but he will be back. God I hope we don’t have to watch a playoff game at the Trop.

18. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 24, 2013 at 4:21 PM

#Orioles waiting for Dr Wilckens to read MRI on Machado. Around BP. Sounds like news is better than 1st expected. Not worst case— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) September 24, 2013

Possibility the news isn’t as horrible as we initially feared.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2921)