Sep 23, 2013, 6:39 PM EST
Miguel Cabrera left Saturday’s game after aggravating a groin injury and sat out yesterday’s game, but Chris Iott of MLive.com reports that he’s back in the lineup at third base tonight against the Twins.
Cabrera has been banged up for quite some time now, so it’s just a matter of pain tolerance. The Tigers need a win tonight and an Indians loss to wrap up the American League Central, so look for him to get some extra rest once that happens. It’s clear he’ll be going into the postseason at well under 100 percent, but 50 percent of Miggy is better than most mere mortals. The Tigers will take their chances with that.
While Cabrera is back in the starting lineup tonight, Jose Iglesias is still absent. The 23-year-old shortstop hasn’t played since he suffered a left hand contusion as the result of being hit by a pitch last Thursday.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)