Sep 23, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera left Saturday’s game after aggravating a groin injury and sat out yesterday’s game, but Chris Iott of MLive.com reports that he’s back in the lineup at third base tonight against the Twins.
Cabrera has been banged up for quite some time now, so it’s just a matter of pain tolerance. The Tigers need a win tonight and an Indians loss to wrap up the American League Central, so look for him to get some extra rest once that happens. It’s clear he’ll be going into the postseason at well under 100 percent, but 50 percent of Miggy is better than most mere mortals. The Tigers will take their chances with that.
While Cabrera is back in the starting lineup tonight, Jose Iglesias is still absent. The 23-year-old shortstop hasn’t played since he suffered a left hand contusion as the result of being hit by a pitch last Thursday.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)