Sep 23, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera left Saturday’s game after aggravating a groin injury and sat out yesterday’s game, but Chris Iott of MLive.com reports that he’s back in the lineup at third base tonight against the Twins.
Cabrera has been banged up for quite some time now, so it’s just a matter of pain tolerance. The Tigers need a win tonight and an Indians loss to wrap up the American League Central, so look for him to get some extra rest once that happens. It’s clear he’ll be going into the postseason at well under 100 percent, but 50 percent of Miggy is better than most mere mortals. The Tigers will take their chances with that.
While Cabrera is back in the starting lineup tonight, Jose Iglesias is still absent. The 23-year-old shortstop hasn’t played since he suffered a left hand contusion as the result of being hit by a pitch last Thursday.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 23
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 11
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)