Quote of the Day: Brandon Phillips on Wild Card celebrations

Sep 23, 2013, 5:38 PM EDT

I totally agree with Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips on this topic:

Of course, we’ll see if the rest of the Reds feel the same way. Right now they’re two games behind the Cardinals for the division title and have one of the two Wild Card spots just about wrapped up.

1. steelers88 - Sep 23, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Interesting to see what the Pirates do when they clinch.

• danwilliamsmlb - Sep 23, 2013 at 5:57 PM

The Pirates have every right to hold a parade for clinching, after that many years of futility.

• pinkfloydprism - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Not really… for a one game playoff.

• florida76 - Sep 23, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Pirates didn’t have a huge celebration after ending the streak with nearly a full season left to play, so any intelligent person would know they won’t be holding a parade for a wild card. However, earning a playoff berth after being the worst team in baseball after the 2010 season is a significant accomplishment.

• jcmeyer10 - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:16 PM

They can go full tacky and I’d be cool with it. And everyone knows, you never go full tacky.

• moseskkim - Sep 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I think itll be intense/great fun for the winner of the wild card game to celebrate big time after the game. itll be fun!

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 24, 2013 at 12:47 PM

If I am the Pirates…I hold a damn parade. And good for them.
      As I have often said…baseball just seems better to me when the Pirates are competitive.

2. junglerat524 - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:14 PM

You don’t celebrate anything except a division championship & those after that. Making the wild card game, unless it’s best of 5 the WC game is a waste of time.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:21 PM

There had better not be any fun involved, said Kirk Gibson probably

4. ayes81 - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM

If Brandon Phillips had a dollar for every time he did or said something stupid, at least we’d never have to hear him cry about his “slap in the face” contract ever again.

5. steelers88 - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Hope the Pirates DON’T clinch tonight I hope they clinch tomorrow. That would mean the Nationals would have beaten the Cardinals.

6. yankeepunk3000 - Sep 23, 2013 at 8:47 PM

here’s a question that had been bugging me. this is only about banners, ok so when a team used to win a wild card. they would hang up a banner the next year. it was still hard as hell to be 1 of 8 out of 30 to enter so I respected that banner. So now that there is TWO said wild card winners do the teams still hang banners up? which I want really… so the fans of those teams who got into the wold card last year did you notice if they put up a banner? Os fans? this has really been bugging me all year so if anyone can let me know that would be great

7. walterwhite1976 - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Pirates can celebrate however they want. The Reds probably shouldn’t celebrate anything until they win a playoff series given Dusty Baker’s track record.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3437)