Red Sox unveil statue for Carl Yastrzemski

Sep 23, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT

Former Boston Red Sox player Yastrzemski watches the unveiling of his statue outside Fenway Park's Gate B in Boston Reuters

The Red Sox unveiled a statue yesterday honoring Hall of Famer Carl Yastrzemski. It’s the third statue at Fenway Park, joining one of Ted Williams and a “teammates” statue featuring Williams, Johnny Pesky, Dom DiMaggio, and Bobby Doerr.

The new monument sits outside Fenway’s Gate B and depicts a 44-year-old Yastrzemski tipping his cap at Fenway before his final major league at-bat 30 years ago on October 2, 1983. Jim Rice, Dwight Evans, Luis Tiant, and Bill Lee were among those on hand for yesterday’s unveiling.

Yastrzemski, who also threw out of the first pitch prior to yesterday’s game against the Blue Jays, told the Associated Press that he was touched by the team’s tribute.

“It means tremendous importance to me,” he said, standing at the base of the statue after a 30-minute ceremony that included some of his former teammates and current members of the AL East champions. “This is as important to me as being elected to the Hall of Fame and having my number retired. It’s a tremendous honor.”

Plenty deserving of the honor, Yastrzemski spent his entire 23-year career with the Red Sox, compiling a .285/.379/.462 batting line to go along with 3,419 hits, 452 home runs, and 1844 RBI. An 18-time All-Star and seven-time Gold Glove Award winner, he was awarded the American League MVP award in 1967 after winning the Triple Crown.

1. rickdobrydney - Sep 23, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Nice gesture, but about 20 years too late — Great , intense ballplayer—–

2. hieronymous27 - Sep 23, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Agreed. This was a no-brainer and it was too long in coming.

3. rickdobrydney - Sep 23, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I NEVER saw a ballplayer carry a club on his back the way Yaz did in the final weeks of the 1967 season (he won the triple crown that year) — Brought them a pennant — he was just plain amazing that year—-

4. raysfan1 - Sep 23, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I don’t know about the sentiments that this should have been done sooner, although I understand the feeling. Still there is something cool about it being done now as a “we still remember you and still love you” sort of way.

5. proudlycanadian - Sep 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Why wasn’t this posted yesterday when it happened? I saw a well deserved thread about Rivera yesterday, but not this.

6. moogro - Sep 23, 2013 at 11:54 AM

huh huh huh..heh heh heh.. you said compiling.

7. 8man - Sep 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Captain Carl!

8. theskinsman - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Yaz was the man when I was a lad. I held my bat just like he did in my little league, and tried to mimic his swing. He was just incredible in that 67 season.

9. bigdaddy44 - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I idolized and mimicked Yaz as a kid, as did so many young Red Sox fans. That changed when I got a little older, and had the privilege to spend some time close to the team and also to know several people who worked for the organization, mostly around the clubhouse. When I wanted to imitate Yaz after that, I had a beer in one hand, a butt in the other as I pretended to spit on a clubhouse kid. That is all public knowledge, so much more could come out, but the result would be to bring up old wounds and possibly hurt others. Here’s hoping that as the years went by, there was forgiveness or rectification that happened that I would not have heard about.

10. pa9erfan - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM

imagine that… a retired ballplayer from the 40’s 50’s, or 60’s with a brew in one hand and a smoke in the other… yaz was a great player and probably not that much worse of a man from that era either…

11. bigdaddy44 - Sep 23, 2013 at 9:42 PM

pa9nerfan
    Do you also have the power of selective hearing, or just the ability to selectively read?

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2881)