Sep 23, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
TBS announced that Pedro Martinez will join their broadcast crew for the playoffs, with the future Hall of Famer teaming with Tom Verducci as analysts alongside studio host Keith Olbermann.
As for what he’ll bring to the table, Martinez told the Associated Press:
Some of us, when we go up to the booth and look at the game down on the field, sometimes we tend to forget how difficult the game is and how uncomfortable it is to execute under pressure. .. As a baseball player, I always recognized when I didn’t do something right. I didn’t have a problem with anybody saying, “He didn’t execute.”
Without naming any specific names it’s definitely true that being outspoken and a good quote as a player doesn’t necessarily equate to being a good television analyst, but I’m optimistic about Pedro being pretty entertaining.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69