Sep 23, 2013, 4:36 PM EST
TBS announced that Pedro Martinez will join their broadcast crew for the playoffs, with the future Hall of Famer teaming with Tom Verducci as analysts alongside studio host Keith Olbermann.
As for what he’ll bring to the table, Martinez told the Associated Press:
Some of us, when we go up to the booth and look at the game down on the field, sometimes we tend to forget how difficult the game is and how uncomfortable it is to execute under pressure. .. As a baseball player, I always recognized when I didn’t do something right. I didn’t have a problem with anybody saying, “He didn’t execute.”
Without naming any specific names it’s definitely true that being outspoken and a good quote as a player doesn’t necessarily equate to being a good television analyst, but I’m optimistic about Pedro being pretty entertaining.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 52
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 41
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 48
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)