TBS hires Pedro Martinez as a playoff analyst

Sep 23, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT

pedro martinez shaving

TBS announced that Pedro Martinez will join their broadcast crew for the playoffs, with the future Hall of Famer teaming with Tom Verducci as analysts alongside studio host Keith Olbermann.

As for what he’ll bring to the table, Martinez told the Associated Press:

Some of us, when we go up to the booth and look at the game down on the field, sometimes we tend to forget how difficult the game is and how uncomfortable it is to execute under pressure. .. As a baseball player, I always recognized when I didn’t do something right. I didn’t have a problem with anybody saying, “He didn’t execute.”

Without naming any specific names it’s definitely true that being outspoken and a good quote as a player doesn’t necessarily equate to being a good television analyst, but I’m optimistic about Pedro being pretty entertaining.

1. yankeepunk3000 - Sep 23, 2013 at 5:20 PM

god can they stop bringing these ex players that will keep saying the same things over and over again. we need competent analysist.

• sandpiperair - Sep 23, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Still upset about Zimmer?

• drewzducks - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:33 PM

You’d prefer Suzyn Waldman and Harry Moskowitz ?

• tycobb420 - Sep 23, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I know what you mean and would agree with you 9 times out of 10, but I’m hopeful Pedro is that 1/10 case. He’s a thoughtful guy and idiosyncratic enough to be entertaining as well. He could be a good one.

• dickclydesdale - Sep 24, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Pedro stutters to much, he has marbles in his mouth. Id prefer to see omar vizquel. He has good skills.

2. skipcastaneda - Sep 23, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I know I’ll have the mute button on when he does the games.

3. Caught Looking - Sep 23, 2013 at 5:51 PM

So what will Olbermann bring to the table?

• poprox13 - Sep 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM

douchebaggery

4. yankeepunk3000 - Sep 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

here’s hoping. It just gets tired of all these ex jocks saying generic nonsense that has been spat out a thousand times a season. I’m ok with an inning of having s guest up there the a full game? let alone the WHOLE series???!!! god help us all. I can’t even listen to the Yankee announcers anymore it just to much.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (1936)