Vin Scully won’t let the mayor name a street after him

Sep 23, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT

scully ap AP

Los Angeles mayor Eric Garcetti said Sunday that he wanted to rename a street near Dodger Stadium after Vin Scully, but the legendary announcer issued a statement via the team saying he’s not interested in the honor:

The mayor of Los Angeles has a great deal more important things to do than name a street after me. And if he is considering the idea, better the street should be named after Walter or Peter O’Malley than myself.

All of which just makes me love Scully even more.

(Seriously though, would it be super crazy of me to suggest that the Dodgers rename the whole ballpark after Scully at some point?)

1. ptfu - Sep 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Vin Scully takes the high road by not taking any road.

2. hieronymous27 - Sep 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM

With so many people clamoring for celebrity status, Scully’s humility is a breathe of fresh air. V.S. is a broadcasting icon and a class act.

3. indaburg - Sep 23, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I adore this man. I’m naming my next dog after him.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 23, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Vin or Scully?

• raysfan1 - Sep 23, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Gotta be Vin. Some folk might hear “Scully” and think it was an X-Files reference.

• moogro - Sep 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM

An X-files reference that refers to Vin Scully.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 23, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Ah, if I had two dogs, “Mulder” and “Scully” would be fantastic names for them!

• historiophiliac - Sep 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I had a student once who named his bulldog Dick Butkus.

• raysfan1 - Sep 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Good choice, but I’d have gone with Nitschke.

• cur68 - Sep 23, 2013 at 11:30 AM

So, in keeping with Dominican Naming Traditions he’d be roughly: “Vincent Raúl Javier Ibañez Indaburg Scully”…or something?

What kind of dog? A mutt, I’d hope. A big one.

• indaburg - Sep 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Vincent Raúl Javier Ibañez Indaburg DeJESUS Scully.

Yep, big mutt from the pound. A dog worthy of the Vin Scully name.

• cur68 - Sep 23, 2013 at 12:03 PM

OF COURSE DeJesus! What was I thinking? Can’t forget DeJesus.

• historiophiliac - Sep 23, 2013 at 12:25 PM

You couldn’t work a “de la Trop” in there somewhere?

• cur68 - Sep 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I’d think, given the Dominican heritage here, you’d have to go with “Vincent” in Spanish. So “Vicente Raúl Javier Ibañez de la Trop DeJesus Indaburg Scully”

Man. With a name like that he better not be another Dachshund.

4. earpaniac - Sep 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Vin Scully is all class, something we see too little of these days, unfortunately.

5. wisbadgfan - Sep 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Vin Scully has always been a man of class and integrity.

In this day and age of self adulation its always refreshing to see a talented person be humble.

I always find it a treat to listen to Vin Scully——dodger fans have had this honor for 65 years.

6. Stiller43 - Sep 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM

The ballpark? How about the city and the team?

The Vin Scully’s playing at historic Vin Scully Park in beautiful Vin Scully.

7. coloradogolfcoupons - Sep 23, 2013 at 1:53 PM

!957-59. living in Riverside, my first exposure to MLB was listening to Vin Scully on the Radio. Bugged my dad into taking me to the Coliseum to watch Wally Moon launch oppo HRs 275 feet to left and Snider launch 430 feet outs to right. Moved in ’59 but still listen to Vin any chance I get.

8. yahmule - Sep 23, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Vin is genuinely embarrassed by the constant outpouring of love and admiration that comes his way.

Maybe Vin realizes that street sign would have been stolen about a million times and he wants to save the city some money.

9. crackersnap - Sep 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Even as a life-long Angels fan I love me some Vin Scully. But as a life-long SoCal resident and driver who has seen the witless abundance of roadway signage dedicated to any number of unknown state bureaucrats – practically every freeway overpass and interchange and stretch of highway between every interchange – I am glad that Scully demurred.

When he retires, name the entire complex in Chavez Ravine after him. Dodger Stadium would be in “Vin Scully Park”. You can’t change the name of the venue itself, which is already historic. And don’t name the field after him, because there is a clear difference between where the players play and where Scully rules. And anything such as Vin Scully Concourse or Vin Scully Entrance would be insufficent to bear homage to this man. Better to include ALL the areas traveled by the Dodger fans that Scully served, and that includes the parking lot where hundreds of millions of hours have been spent listening to Vinny in car radios, stuck trying to get in or out of the place before/after any game.

10. chiadam - Sep 23, 2013 at 3:19 PM

The whole town should be named after Scully. He’s an icon. The only person that does not recognize his greatness is him.

11. lanflfan - Sep 23, 2013 at 4:50 PM

The press box at Dodger Stadium has been named the Vin Scully Press Box since 2001. I think that may be the most he would ever agree to have named in his honor.

12. clearwall - Sep 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Im a Braves fan and Vin Scully is even my favorite announcer in all of sports. He and Bob Ueker are two of the last real personalities left in the industry.

13. wtfruthinkn - Sep 23, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Well hey, let’s get some of the other great Dodger owners into the fray as well. Elysian Park Avenue could be Rupert Murdoch Way and Academy Rd could be (gasp) Frank McCourt Court! Once again, Scully outclasses everyone, including the damn mayor…

14. jimeejohnson - Sep 23, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Betcha he loves avocado.

15. jimsjam33 - Sep 25, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Vin Sculley Park

16. p4321 - Feb 25, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Harga hp Lenovo A800 : http://meintstudio.com/harga-hp-lenovo-a800.html

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3073)