A guy loses his job because he goes to every Yankees home game

Sep 24, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT

yankees logo

Employee of the century Joseph Neubauer got fired from the New York Taxi and Limousine Commission because he took off work without permission to see a Yankees game last season. But that’s just what you have to do when you have a monkey on your back:

Joseph Neubauer was fired from his position because he didn’t want to mess up an attendance streak at Yankee Stadium. Neubauer has been rooting for the Bronx Bombers since he was 10-years-old and hasn’t missed a home game since the 1970s, CBS 2′s Jessica Schneider reported.

In addition to the September 2012 game that led to this firing he has been previously suspended without pay for taking unauthorized days off. He’s now appealing his termination and says he wants his job back. Yeah, I think that’d be a “no” if I were on that appeal board. And that was before I read that he was once disciplined for the unauthorized accessing of people’s DMV records.

Still, it’s not like he doesn’t have some admirable traits. I mean, given that he went to 81 games a year during the Andy Hawkins era, the guy is willing to put in the time when he’s properly motivated.

1. whitdog23 - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:50 AM

wow! who cares dude?? enjoy standing in that unemployment line

• jm91rs - Sep 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM

As someone that just fired an employee for coming to work only when he feels like it (sober or not), I can bet you that this guy will have no problem getting unemployment for 2 years. The system is a joke and it’s rigged to allow people to stay home.

• teambringitstrong - Sep 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I concur- In 2012 and also this year I fired 2 employees for ‘stealing’ a paycheck and just being plain lazy, unmotivated and dumb. One was even in the process of signing up a new client then I get a message saying that he sent the individual the contract and told client to contact me because he (employee)was going on vacation. No notice or anything.
        Then we he left the company, he sent me the message lamenting how he bent over backwards for me.

• Anoesis - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I don’t know what state you’re in, but when I got fired without cause in California my employer disputed my claim. That caused the case to go to a scheduled telephone conference. When my ex-employer simply refused to answer the phone my claim was approved. What he accomplished was delaying my claim for more than a month simply out of spite. Apparently he didn’t like hearing about how his long-time “loyal” employees were stealing from him, so his solution was to can me.

I’m sure there are lots of lazy assholes who choose to milk the system as long as possible, but nowhere as many people who would much prefer gainful employment.

2. skids003 - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Sounds like a model employee.

3. sabatimus - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM

In a country where millions are struggling to make ends meet, this guy throws away his (presumably well-paying) job. #eyeroll

4. chill1184 - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Another dumbass on the welfare rolls, idiot

• Anoesis - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Unemployment insurance isn’t welfare. It is paid for by payroll deductions. It also barely makes up for the original paycheck.

5. lightcleric - Sep 24, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I always wondered how people managed to go to all those early afternoon day games on work days…now I know.

6. largebill - Sep 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I’m not saying people should be fired for minor or petty reasons, but government workers should not be so stinking hard to can. Just yesterday a NY judge ruled school district was wrong to fire a teacher who showed up for jury duty and was caught with several packets of heroin!!! End ALL public sector unions!

• forsch31 - Sep 24, 2013 at 2:07 PM

That had nothing to do that he was a government worker, and everything to do with wrongful termination laws. No organization–public or private–can outright fire anybody for something outside of the workplace, even for an arrest that hasn’t gone to trial yet. The judge in this case said he should have been suspended without pay until the teacher’s trial occurred.

• jm91rs - Sep 24, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Quite wrong, catholic school teachers are fired for merely posting support of homosexuality on their Facebook page during off hours. They fired for being artificially inseminated. There are no laws against a person being fired for something they did outside of company time.

7. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM

No, he was fired from his job for not showing up to his job. Where he went instead matters none. It’s not his employers responsibility to cater to this person’s personal ENTERTAINMENT. The rest of us don’t get to skip out of work and go to a movie just for the hell of it, why should this guy be any different?

Oh, and how long before the fundraising for this guy kicks up? http://www.PayForMeToGoToYankeesGamesInsteadOfWork.com

Seriously, in this down economy, how the hell can anyone treat their job so recklessly?

8. jimsjam33 - Sep 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM

He asked to get on the midnight shift so he could go to the games without missing work . Unfortunately for him his boss was a Red Sox fan .

9. rbj1 - Sep 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM

“hasn’t missed a home game since the 1970s”

That’s an awful lot of bad 1980s Yankees teams. Isn’t that punishment enough?

10. yahmule - Sep 24, 2013 at 1:16 PM

As someone who shares a lax work ethic, I commend this gentlemen for standing by his principles.

• historiophiliac - Sep 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Seriously, all this Protestant work ethix is making me tired! Wage slaves unite! Down with capitalism. Up with baseball!

Oh, wait, he’s part of the Borg. Nevermind. Assimilate.

• yahmule - Sep 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM

You know what always made me groan? When management announced that the new hire was “a real go-getter.” Generally a euphemism for ruthless backstabbing glory-hog.

• historiophiliac - Sep 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Sigh. I pity the co-opted.

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 24, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I dunno, as a former two time go getter, increasing my value to the company was my only concern, becoming an asset.

I could care less about what anyone else did overall, and never wanted to see anyone fired, but always understood the why if it happened if it happened. Thankfully I’m in a gig where they hire well and fire rarely, even in cases where they might not be pulling their weight for half a year.

11. chc4 - Sep 24, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Was he a union employee? If so I’d expect NY state to have him reinstated with back pay plus punitive damages.

12. sportsfanjay - Sep 24, 2013 at 2:06 PM

What else has this dope missed besides work? Kids birthday parties? Kids games or school functions?
    Get a grip ya schmuck.

• historiophiliac - Sep 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Assuming facts not in evidence.

• yahmule - Sep 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Listen, you have to take this on a kid by kid basis. Some of them thrive like houseplants on relatively benign neglect.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 24, 2013 at 3:39 PM

So some kids are like spider plants? Outstanding Mule! Well done. Golf clap.

• yahmule - Sep 24, 2013 at 7:34 PM

They’re exactly like spider plants.

13. qacm - Sep 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM

“You’re young and you got your health, what you want with a job?” – Evelle Snoats

14. deepstblu - Sep 24, 2013 at 4:15 PM

So now does he get a job with the Yankees?

• historiophiliac - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Buddy road trip with Mo!

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4113)