Sep 24, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
Employee of the century Joseph Neubauer got fired from the New York Taxi and Limousine Commission because he took off work without permission to see a Yankees game last season. But that’s just what you have to do when you have a monkey on your back:
Joseph Neubauer was fired from his position because he didn’t want to mess up an attendance streak at Yankee Stadium. Neubauer has been rooting for the Bronx Bombers since he was 10-years-old and hasn’t missed a home game since the 1970s, CBS 2′s Jessica Schneider reported.
In addition to the September 2012 game that led to this firing he has been previously suspended without pay for taking unauthorized days off. He’s now appealing his termination and says he wants his job back. Yeah, I think that’d be a “no” if I were on that appeal board. And that was before I read that he was once disciplined for the unauthorized accessing of people’s DMV records.
Still, it’s not like he doesn’t have some admirable traits. I mean, given that he went to 81 games a year during the Andy Hawkins era, the guy is willing to put in the time when he’s properly motivated.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 3
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 15
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)