Sep 24, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
After another miserable season that saw him get dropped by the Red Sox and claimed off waivers by the Cubs right-hander Daniel Bard told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune that he’s considering pitching winter ball:
There’s a good chance of it happening. We at least need the innings, just to have something going into spring training next year.
Bard has logged just 17 total innings this season, including zero in the Cubs organization, and hasn’t seen game action since walking four Single-A hitters in one inning back on August 31.
For the Cubs he represented a low-cost flier, so claiming Bard off waivers in the hopes they can still turn him around is a worthwhile move, but he’s nearing the full-on reclamation project stage after back-to-back years filled with extreme control problems and injuries.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)