Jack Zduriencik will remain the Mariners’ GM in 2014

Sep 24, 2013, 8:15 PM EDT

jack zduriencik getty Getty Images

Ryan Divish of the Tacoma News Tribune reported last month that Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik signed a contract extension last year that would keep him in his current gig through 2014. M’s president Chuck Armstrong refused to comment on that story for weeks, but that changed Tuesday.

“Yes, Jack will be back,” Armstrong told Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times before the Mariners’ game against the Royals on Tuesday night at Safeco Field. Armstrong declined to go into any further details about Jack Z’s status, citing “club policy.”

The Mariners have gone 356-449 in Zduriencik’s tenure. That’s a wretched .442 winning percentage.

“You always operate on the basis that you’re going to keep doing the job,” Zduriencik said in a short interview after Armstrong’s confirmation. “That’s what I’ve been doing. It’s been business as usual.”

1. shawnuel - Sep 24, 2013 at 8:17 PM

If he keeps Wedge, I become a Rays fan for 2014.

• janemeurer - Sep 25, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Go grab 10$ on your first registration,,,Now nothing fret regarding earnings. Our Company wants home users for his or her monetary reportings.
      I created $3576 this Month already…Here is that the website for additional data
      >>>>> http:\\­x­d­5.n­ℯt/7967

2. Old Gator - Sep 24, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Ahh, fans of the Crew of the Minnow will be tying one on tonight, I betcha.

• chacochicken - Sep 24, 2013 at 8:23 PM

tying on an albatross, I’d wager.

3. denny65 - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Jack, yes. Wedge? When the proverbial pig becomes airborne.

• Reflex - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM

That’s my feeling. I like Jack’s approach. Wedge I just do not understand.

• dan1111 - Sep 25, 2013 at 4:15 AM

Zduriencik was very highly regarded before coming to Seattle, but the results after five years have to be a bit disappointing.

He has built a strong farm system, but they still don’t look like a team that is ready to break through. And they have had poor results despite having more money to work with than most rebuilding teams.

• Reflex - Sep 25, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I think the success expectations are too high, when he came in the M’s were 30th out of 30 in almost all organizational metrics, and Bavasi had gutted the farm system. Five years is enough to turn out a few good players, but not a whole team’s worth. Jack did not have the luxury of a few major league talents that he could turn into top prospects like other teams in rebuild mode have had, and has had to make due signing and trading for pitchers and dealing them at the deadline for prospects.

My issues with Jack come down to his choice in managers. I think the farm system he has built will start paying off, but if he puts in the wrong manager that can seriously harm the team. We will see, but two of the big three pitching prospects arrived in the second half and both have looked fantastic so far. Saeger, Franklin and Mills have all looked pretty good as well. I think the pieces are here, but most are under age 26, and breakout years are usually between 26-30.

I give it two more years, if no progress by then I’d say put Jack in charge of scouting and find a new GM.

4. amadorjon - Sep 25, 2013 at 12:38 AM

is it just me or have the mariners been rebuilding since they became a franchise or what?

5. fearthehoody - Sep 25, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Jack is back you say!? Well then I look forward to another sub 75 win season in 2014!

6. berseliusx - Sep 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM

#6org

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4974)