Sep 24, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
Signed to a three-year, $12 million deal as a free agent this offseason, Keppinger got off to a brutal start by sporting a sub-.200 batting average as late as May 20. He turned things around somewhat since then, but finishes hitting .253 with a ghastly .283 on-base percentage that includes just 20 walks in 451 trips to the plate.
And his .600 OPS is 206 points below last year’s mark and 133 points under his career total coming into 2013. Keppinger is owed $4 million next season and $4.5 million in 2015.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 61
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)