Sep 24, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
According to Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles announced at a press conference on Tuesday evening at Camden Yards that Machado did not suffer any ACL or MCL damage when he tweaked his knee at first base on Monday afternoon in Tampa Bay. The young star has been diagnosed with a torn medial patella tendon ligament and could begin light running within the next 6-8 weeks. He does not need surgery and the hope is that he will be back to full health by the opening of spring training in 2014.
The 21-year-old former third-overall pick batted .283/.314/.432 with 14 home runs, 51 doubles and 71 RBI in 156 games this season for Baltimore.
He also had six stolen bases, scored 88 runs and played excellent defense at third base.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)