Sep 24, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
According to Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles announced at a press conference on Tuesday evening at Camden Yards that Machado did not suffer any ACL or MCL damage when he tweaked his knee at first base on Monday afternoon in Tampa Bay. The young star has been diagnosed with a torn medial patella tendon ligament and could begin light running within the next 6-8 weeks. He does not need surgery and the hope is that he will be back to full health by the opening of spring training in 2014.
The 21-year-old former third-overall pick batted .283/.314/.432 with 14 home runs, 51 doubles and 71 RBI in 156 games this season for Baltimore.
He also had six stolen bases, scored 88 runs and played excellent defense at third base.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)