Sep 24, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
According to Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles announced at a press conference on Tuesday evening at Camden Yards that Machado did not suffer any ACL or MCL damage when he tweaked his knee at first base on Monday afternoon in Tampa Bay. The young star has been diagnosed with a torn medial patella tendon ligament and could begin light running within the next 6-8 weeks. He does not need surgery and the hope is that he will be back to full health by the opening of spring training in 2014.
The 21-year-old former third-overall pick batted .283/.314/.432 with 14 home runs, 51 doubles and 71 RBI in 156 games this season for Baltimore.
He also had six stolen bases, scored 88 runs and played excellent defense at third base.
- John Mozeliak announces Matt Adams out 3-4 months with torn quad, possibly the year 0
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)