Manny Machado has no ACL or MCL damage in his left knee, could begin running in 6-8 weeks

Sep 24, 2013, 6:41 PM EST

manny machado getty Getty Images

Buck Showalter’s optimism about the status of Manny Machado‘s left knee was not unfounded.

According to Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles announced at a press conference on Tuesday evening at Camden Yards that Machado did not suffer any ACL or MCL damage when he tweaked his knee at first base on Monday afternoon in Tampa Bay. The young star has been diagnosed with a torn medial patella tendon ligament and could begin light running within the next 6-8 weeks. He does not need surgery and the hope is that he will be back to full health by the opening of spring training in 2014.

The 21-year-old former third-overall pick batted .283/.314/.432 with 14 home runs, 51 doubles and 71 RBI in 156 games this season for Baltimore.

He also had six stolen bases, scored 88 runs and played excellent defense at third base.

1. 8man - Sep 24, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Woo hoo! Better than expected. Bet it hurts like hell right now, though.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 24, 2013 at 6:55 PM

He has a torn tendon and is finished for the season. I certainly hope that he is fully healed by next season.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM

It was a good run by Baltimore this season; however, they were eliminated from post season play tonight as they lost another 1 run game. They will be trouble for their opponents next season.

2. scoobies05 - Sep 24, 2013 at 6:51 PM

great news for baseball fans. see ya in the spring manny

3. joeflaccosunibrow - Sep 24, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Any torn tendon seems bad

4. sabatimus - Sep 24, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Holy crap. I have no idea how that’s possible. That’s awesome. That patella injury will need work though, speaking from experience.

5. bosoxfan15 - Sep 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM

@joeflacco, tendons heal on their own.

6. APBA Guy - Sep 24, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Good deal, that’s a better diagnosis than what it looked like when I saw the replays.

What a fabulous talent he is. This is very good news for baseball.

7. randomdigits - Sep 24, 2013 at 7:38 PM

He had a similar injury in the minors.

8. raysfan1 - Sep 24, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I assume this is a partial tear to the medial aspect of the patellar tendon. There is no “medial patellar tendon ligament.” MLB network said it was the “medial patellofemoral ligament,” but that doesn’t exist either.

Regardless, good to hear it wasn’t worse.

• cur68 - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I saw that MLB Network report too. Never stopped to question “medial patellofemoral ligament”, I was so pleased by the good news. But, now that you mention it, they MUST mean the patellar tendon and it must only be a partial tear (a medial tear one surmises since that keeps coming back up), otherwise he’d need it fixed back down or re-joined. All in all, good news, considering how bad it might have been.

• mscott4 - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:43 PM

You are right that there is no medial patella tendon ligament but wrong about the medial patellofemoral ligament. It does exist and it helps to prevent the patella from dislocating laterally. There is also a lateral patellofemoral ligament. A common surgery is lateral release is of the lateral patellofemoral ligament.

• raysfan1 - Sep 25, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Wrong. The patella (kneecap) is held in place solely by the patellar tendon, which attaches the anterior thigh muscles (AKA quads) to the leg just below the knee. It is what it technically called a sesamoid bone. You are no doubt thinking of the medial and lateral collateral ligaments, which provide side to side stability to the knee joint itself and attach the femur to the tibia.

Never argue anatomy with a physician.

• mscott4 - Sep 25, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Wow! Never argue with a physician huh?

No doubt you are wrong. Why don’t you read up a little bit on anatomy before making a statement like that.

Never argue with an athletic trainer.

• stex52 - Sep 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM

You guys work it on out and get back to me, huh? I’m just an engineer.

• raysfan1 - Sep 25, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Still not in any if my anatomy texts nor my orthopedic surgery text.

However, I was kind of an ass earlier. I’ve had a crummy day but it’s no excuse. I apologize.

9. ravensfan8780 - Sep 24, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Glad it’s not too serious I was thinking damn the O’s don’t need this

10. pxeeks - Sep 24, 2013 at 8:31 PM

It looked a lot worse. Glad it’s not a terrible injury…. But he is my fantasy baseball 3rd baseman for my championship week and rosters are locked arg! Oh well. Get better Machado from a Phillies fan!

11. chill1184 - Sep 24, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Get well Machado

12. largebill - Sep 24, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Hope he has a full recovery and is ready for spring training. Regardless of which team anyone might root for any baseball fan had to feel sick seeing him go down yesterday. Whether it is Trout or Harper or whomever, baseball always needs great young players and ya hate to see one derailed. Always think of the what might have been with Conigliaro or Mantle etc.

13. danielcp0303 - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM

As a casual baseball fan (mostly because I root for the Astros and lately they’ve given me nothing to root for. Oh, and the Astros aren’t on television), I’m happy to see it isn’t too serious. I like the way this guy plays and he’s fun to watch.

14. janemeurer - Sep 25, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Go grab 10$ on your first registration,,,Now nothing fret regarding earnings. Our Company wants home users for his or her monetary reportings. I created $3576 this Month already…Here is that the website for additional data >>>>> http:\\­x­d­5.n­ℯt/7967

15. obmig - Sep 25, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Great news that he could actually be ready for camp. Looked like and acl but it must have been a dislocation.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5071)