Sep 24, 2013, 6:17 PM EDT
Matt Holliday is out of the Cardinals’ starting lineup for a third consecutive game on Tuesday night versus the Nationals. Shane Robinson will start in left field in his place and bat second against Washington left-hander Gio Gonzalez.
The Cardinals have a two-game buffer over the Pirates and Reds in the National League Central standings, so maybe this is a precautionary thing. But a three-game absence is typically a red flag.
St. Louis is still missing Allen Craig, who suffered a sprained foot earlier this month and might not be ready for action until sometime in mid-October. The Cardinals have had the most productive offense in the National League this year with 760 runs scored and will continue to try to weather the storm.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)