Sep 24, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT
Headline from Tim Colishaw’s latest at The Dallas Morning News:
Call me crazy, but I feel like missing the playoffs in a late-season collapse would be way worse than playing in them with Cruz. Or even losing in the first round because they don’t have Cruz. But I suppose there are many different levels of embarrassment.
As for the column, everything you need to know comes in this passage:
If the Rangers do qualify and bring back Cruz, one can argue that he served his suspension and paid his debt. I don’t necessarily disagree with that since I’ve stated there is a certain unsettling witch-hunt atmosphere to this pursuit of athletes, particularly in baseball, who use substances to try to enhance their careers.
Put differently: “I believe X about Nelson Cruz, but I have a column to crank out so I’m going to give voice to an argument to the contrary that I just got done telling you I really don’t agree with.” Oh, and the argument to the contrary is basically “some Texas Rangers used PEDs 15 years ago, so maybe the Rangers should tie an arm behind their back if they make the playoffs and sit Cruz in order to pay penance. Or something.” I don’t see anyone calling for the A’s to pay for Jose Canseco’s sins, but maybe Texas has a higher level of moral expectation. I don’t know.
How about this: we treat drug suspensions like every other suspension. When a player is done serving his suspension, he’s done. I realize the Giants made a different call with Melky Cabrera, and yes they got away with it, but I’m not sure how making decisions that weaken your ballclub has suddenly become reasonable precedent.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 34
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 14
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 31
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)