Nelson Cruz on the Rangers for the playoffs would be an “embarrassment?” Really?

Sep 24, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT

Headline from Tim Colishaw’s latest at The Dallas Morning News:

source:

Call me crazy, but I feel like missing the playoffs in a late-season collapse would be way worse than playing in them with Cruz. Or even losing in the first round because they don’t have Cruz. But I suppose there are many different levels of embarrassment.

As for the column, everything you need to know comes in this passage:

If the Rangers do qualify and bring back Cruz, one can argue that he served his suspension and paid his debt. I don’t necessarily disagree with that since I’ve stated there is a certain unsettling witch-hunt atmosphere to this pursuit of athletes, particularly in baseball, who use substances to try to enhance their careers.

But …

Put differently: “I believe X about Nelson Cruz, but I have a column to crank out so I’m going to give voice to an argument to the contrary that I just got done telling you I really don’t agree with.” Oh, and the argument to the contrary is basically “some Texas Rangers used PEDs 15 years ago, so maybe the Rangers should tie an arm behind their back if they make the playoffs and sit Cruz in order to pay penance. Or something.” I don’t see anyone calling for the A’s to pay for Jose Canseco’s sins, but maybe Texas has a higher level of moral expectation. I don’t know.

How about this: we treat drug suspensions like every other suspension. When a player is done serving his suspension, he’s done. I realize the Giants made a different call with Melky Cabrera, and yes they got away with it, but I’m not sure how making decisions that weaken your ballclub has suddenly  become reasonable precedent.

1. chill1184 - Sep 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Douchebag sports writer is a douchebag

2. chacochicken - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I think he meant something like missing the playoffs would spare the Rangers the embarrassment of bringing back Nelson Cruz to comically misplay half the balls hit in his direction.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:08 AM

The Rangers are currently playing Houston, but I expect that they will have a lot of trouble with the Angels. I doubt that they will make the playoffs.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Cruz can come back to play the Angels, I believe. It would be a good tune up to face some AAA pitching before the playoffs, should the Rangers make it that far.

Let’s see if they can lose another Darvish start 1-0. It has happened 4 times already.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 24, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Aren’t almost all of the minor league seasons over?

3. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I realize the Giants made a different call with Melky Cabrera, and yes they got away with it, but I’m not sure how making decisions that weaken your ballclub has suddenly become reasonable precedent.

Is this when we bring up how hypocritical the Giants are? That they had no issue letting twice-suspended-for-PED-use Guillermo Mota pitch for them in the postseason last year, but kept Melky off the roster.

4. paperlions - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Is it embarrassing that Colon will be pitching for the A’s or that he’s been playing for them since coming back from suspension for doing the same thing at the same place as Cruz?

Is all moralizing lazy or is it just the lazy moralizing that is so easily identified?

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:31 AM

What happens if Cruz comes back and hits an playoff HR off of Colon. I feel like we would need Stephen Hawking to come help us understand all of the asterisks in the box score

6. paco53 - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Craig, I have not added them up but it seems that a significant portion of your articles are on drugs or drug suspensions. I would suggest that you move onto something else. Thanks.

7. scoobies05 - Sep 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM

so if cruz or any player serves his mutually agreed upon suspension then why would it be an issue to bring him back after his suspension is over. if your issue is over what he did then get over it. he paid his dues

8. tcb2nyc - Sep 24, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I know Cowlishaw personally, and he is exactly the arrogant a-hole you would think he is. Maybe not as bad a Skip Bayliss, but he’s a jerk. And this is a stupid opinion.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4113)