Some Dodgers may have peed in the Chase Field pool during their celebration

Sep 24, 2013, 9:16 AM EDT

pool sign

Well, this certainly puts a new spin on the Dodgers-Dbacks rivalry, Swimming Pool-Gate and all of that. Anthony Jackson reports that maybe it was more than just fun and games going on at Chase Field on Thursday night:

. . . it has come to my attention that one of the Dodgers players who jumped in the pool — and I will do him the favor of leaving his name out of this for now — openly and loudly bragged after leaving the pool about having urinated in it … There also are indications that MULTIPLE Dodgers players urinated into the pool, but I can’t tell you that with any certainty. It’s just what I’ve heard.

This information has changed Jackson’s view of the little celebration from one in which it was fun and harmless to one in which it was sick and classless.

I can see that. I mean, I’m not all that interested in diving deep into the matter of whether or not someone peed in the pool, who it was, whether they are remorseful about it and all of the kind of handwringing that comes up about any weird, off-the-field matter of morals, ethics and taste, but I can see that.

For what it’s worth, I can muster some sharp thoughts about these matters for DUIs and PEDs and all manner of other things — I probably have a greater tolerance for it than most people — but I can’t go there for peeing in pools. I just can’t. At least not until we have a teary confession and an official statement from someone. Or maybe just some silly statements. If this spins silly, sure, I’ll be all over it, but I cant put on my serious/judgmental face for pee in a pool.

In other words: we’re gonna let this story mellow for a bit.

1. Old Gator - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:24 AM

This is a story with unlimited Spawrts Torque Raydeeo potential. It’s tantamount to the discovery of urea itself. You’re going to hear words you haven’t heard since junior high anatomy class, words like “nephron” and “urethra.” Pretty soon, someone will be chiming in to point out that if you pee in your garden sprayer before going out to do battle with the dandelions, prostrate spurge and dollarweed, you’ll speed up the kill time by about 25%. Mark my words!

• Old Gator - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM

PS – that’s pee in your garden sprayer, not in your bread pudding.

• ilovegspot - Sep 24, 2013 at 1:48 PM

amazing. there actually are people dumb enough to fall for this non story.

• sabatimus - Sep 25, 2013 at 6:09 AM

You’ve seriously posted this at least 3 times already.

• sabatimus - Sep 25, 2013 at 6:19 AM

Sorry, 7.

2. jb8588 - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Definitely seems that Puig’s arrogance and self-cockiness has rubbed off on the rest of this team. I hope they’re knocked out nice & early in the playoffs.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Meh. Many of those guys had plenty of personality issues to begin with. They weren’t run out of town by their former employers for lack of talent.

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM

They were run out because of the contracts.

Funny how being the first team to clinch a playoff berth is talentless. I guess, when all things bad equals the Dodgers, creativity takes a backseat to lazy criticism.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I think your line about lazy criticism is beautifully ironic as placed here. Thank you.

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Ah, sorry about that talentless line. You’re right, I guess. Personality issues like signing too big a contract that, apparently, is worth swapping for minor league talent.

I’ll read your posts better next time.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Nobody would have had problems with the contracts if the guys were producing equivalent results. One of the reasons they were not producing results was attitude problems. So yes, contracts were part of the story, but by no means the whole story.

• ilovegspot - Sep 24, 2013 at 1:50 PM

suckers falling for this bullshit non story.

• kevinbnyc - Sep 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Self-cockiness is redundant.

• Old Gator - Sep 24, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Not only that, it’s repetitive.

• sabatimus - Sep 24, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Oh come on. There’s nothing more freeing or glorious than peeing in a pool. Especially someone else’s pool.

3. kingscourt25 - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM

1) Tony Jackson doesn’t work for ESPNLA anymore. They fired him last year. He hired by no major newspaper or sports outlet. He is fully independent.

2) Which in turn, probably allowed him to write something like this. No one else is reporting, for what it’s worth.

3) As stated, even Jackson acknowledges this is still a rumor. Tony heard a rumor through a third party, has little to no proof and goes off spouting.

• cur68 - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM

In all fairness, that pool is used by the fans. In other words, the General Public. Many of whom are children. Many of whom have uncertain bladder control.

Its is BEYOND likely that The Dodgers were swimming in some fine, aged, and mellowed Arizona Urine. By the time they added their own juices to the mix, it would have been but a spritz to that which was already swirling around.

This whole story is a big “So What?”

• historiophiliac - Sep 24, 2013 at 5:09 PM

And Matt Kemp’s grandparents might be incontinent.

• sabatimus - Sep 25, 2013 at 6:01 AM

Incontinentia…Incontinentia Buttocks.

4. rollinghighwayblues - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM

At least urine is sterile…right guys?

• uwsptke - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:21 AM

“Necessary? Is it necessary that I drink my own urine? No! But I do so anyways because it’s sterile, and I like the taste!”

• aceshigh11 - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Heheh…very underrated comedy.

5. stoutfiles - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Andrew Jackson has obviously never been to a public pool then, which hovers around 2% chlorine and 98% urine.

• yahmule - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM

He has and he’s contributed like everybody else.

• skids003 - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Remember “Caddyshack?” At least one didn’t leave a floater.

6. jm91rs - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I feel like this is likely nothing. A player gets out of the pool and says “hey guys I just pissed in there”, another one says “yeah me too, f-them d-backs!”. Likely no one peed in the pool as adults typically don’t do that sort of thing unless heavily intoxicated.

• yahmule - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Thank you.

• ilovegspot - Sep 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM

only morons believe this non story

7. bosoxfan15 - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:33 AM

This story gets stupider by the day. Who the F cares if a player peed in a filtered, chlorinated pool? I’ll bet that isn’t the first piss in that pool. The A’s have piss in their dugout and clubhouse.

8. icanspeel - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:33 AM

“Hey I peed in the pool while we were all in there!”

• yahmule - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:49 AM

“Woohoo! High five!”

9. ridingwithnohandlebars - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Not surprising when they have played a long game, are excited, and jump in a pool. That sort of thing can happen.

10. historiophiliac - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Again, I do not understand why they have a pool instead of a gritty sandbox. Then you just scoop out the clumps. Hello.

If you seriously are worried about the Dodgers peeing in your pool (and are there photos?), you have wrong priorities. Or, as my momma says, you are majoring in the minors. #losingteamproblems

• asimonetti88 - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM

The D-Backs have a winning record as of right now.

• historiophiliac - Sep 24, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Oh, yes, I stand corrected. They are going to the playoffs.

/s

• asimonetti88 - Sep 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM

No, but they do have a winning record.

• historiophiliac - Sep 24, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I didn’t say they didn’t, but they remain losers in the division. Have a nice day.

11. bravojawja - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I don’t think whoever has to do their laundry appreciates this. Weren’t they all still in uniform, at least partially?

• yahmule - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM

The Broncos had an offensive lineman named Mark Schlereth who used to pee in his uniform right on the field.

• historiophiliac - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Do people think this never happens? You can’t always choose when you have to go and sometimes it may knock a little loose when you slide/dive/crash.

• sabatimus - Sep 25, 2013 at 6:05 AM

With all the tobacco juice, spitting, sweat, rosin, pine tar etc, I doubt peeing in a pool is that big a deal for them, especially considering it’s (presumably) already somewhat washed off by the pool water itself.

12. walterwhite1976 - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Meanwhile two more dumps of Stadiums are in the postseason in Oakland and Tampa.

13. chacochicken - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Hey, at least Kevin Elster didn’t sleep with you wife.

14. yahmule - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I know an elderly philanthropist who has peed into potted plants in the lobbies of fine hotels around the world.

• historiophiliac - Sep 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Terry Bradshaw peed on the greens at my dad’s old club once.

• historiophiliac - Sep 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Allegedly

15. daveitsgood - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:49 AM

And fish pee in the ocean…think about that next time you swim out there. This is nbd. Let me know if one of the dodgers left a double decker in the Chase Field bathrooms, that would be more of a story.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Sep 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Perhaps apocryphal, but a line attributed to the great WC Fields, who, when offered a glass of water, allegedly replied: Water? No thank you, I never touch the stuff, fish f*ck in it.

16. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I usually can’t pee in a public restroom if someone is standing at the urinal next to mine. If these guys can pee in the pool while the whole group was all horsing around in it, without having to close their eyes and make the running water sound by blowing air through their clenched teeth, more power to ‘em. Perhaps a Flomax endorsement is in the works.

17. philliesblow - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM

When it comes to celebrating in a pool, either urine or you’re out.

18. richarddansky - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM

If it had been an NFL player, they would have dumped someone else’s pee in the pool.

If it had been the Brewers clinching, then the pee would have somehow been mishandled on its way into the pool.

And if it had been the Yankees, this story would have been written up as Derek Jeter proudly and honorably marking his territory as is his right as God-Emperor of the Suburban Phoenix Dunes.

19. onbucky96 - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Best. Story. Ever. Can we get a tranny stripper, donkey, and a little person. Then it would be like an Ohio State frat party.

20. cjvanhorn - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Reblogged this on THE QUARTERBACK and commented:
    When ya gotta go, ya gotta go. At least the unnamed player(s) didn’t go #2…..

21. Detroit Michael - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:32 AM

From Because I Said So!, Ken Jennings’ latest book: “A 2009 survey by the Water Quality and Health Council found that 17 percent of American adults admit to peeing in [swimming] pools.” Presumably the actual % is higher because not everyone would respond truthfully. Basically, anyone maintaining a swimming pool used by strangers assumes that humans urinate in it often.

• sabatimus - Sep 25, 2013 at 6:14 AM

One of the reasons chlorine exists.

22. jimsjam33 - Sep 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM

” Poison the well ” Tony Jackson . I heard from a little bird that the Dodgers may have peed in the pool , but I won’t name names . Your actions and ultimate story have a “taint of yellow journalism . ” You buffoon .

• Old Gator - Sep 24, 2013 at 1:11 PM

He probably heard it from a canary, then.

• ilovegspot - Sep 24, 2013 at 3:40 PM

you would have to be a real dumbshit to believe this non story

• Old Gator - Sep 24, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Gspot, you seem to have a serious short term memory problem. Have you checked recently to see if there’s anything embedded in your skull someplace?

• sabatimus - Sep 25, 2013 at 6:15 AM

Good luck finding that g-spot after being that stoned.

23. yahmule - Sep 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM

The rampant peeing in standing room only soccer crowds are one reason I won’t attend matches. Also, soccer.

24. ctony1216 - Sep 24, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Hopefully, this kind of celebration becomes one of those wonderful baseball traditions. You’ll have the Yankees spontaneously “celebrating” on the Green Monster, the Red Sox “celebrating” on Babe Ruth’s monument, etc. … Except, in the future, I hope the players do their celebrating while the fans are still in attendance. It would be great to see the fans’ reactions to such spontaneous and joyful displays.

Thank you, Dodgers, for the new level cool that you’ve brought to the sport!

• yahmule - Sep 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I think the real debate is what’s more bush league, jumping in the pool or having one in the first place?

• sabatimus - Sep 25, 2013 at 6:16 AM

I suppose if people put pools on these icons, you might have a point.

25. nothanksimdriving123 - Sep 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM

On the Gnats game Monday, FP said the Braves had celebrated in Wrigley by jumping in the ivy.

• Old Gator - Sep 24, 2013 at 8:19 PM

But did they pee on the ivy?

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug