The best defense Alex Rodriguez can buy

Sep 24, 2013, 9:49 AM EDT

Alex Rodriguez Reuters Reuters

Alex Rodriguez‘s appeal is slated to begin on Monday in New York. Today the New York Times has a rundown of his legal and P.R. team. This quote sums it up pretty well:

“Everyone has a right to the best defense money can buy, and Alex Rodriguez has got a lot of money, so he’s bought a lot of defense”

Someone is quoted in the article speculating that he’s paying six figures a month to keep the team running, which sounds about right. A huge portion of that is probably coming from the civil litigation team he has on standby. Based on my personal experience with high profile two-track cases (i.e. a criminal and civil component or an employment/civil component) there is a team of associates billing the hell out of research projects in support of all manner of lawsuits that could possibly be filed but which never will be. When they go out for beers after work, coworkers not on the A-Rod case say things like “man, I wish I was on the A-Rod case; I may fall short of my billable requirement this year and I could use the hours.”

But such is life in this world.

1. proudlycanadian - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM

This reminds me of how much Rusty and his associates milked out of Clemens.

• slartibartfast4242 - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Money well spent, in Clemens’ case, if you ask me.

• Kevin S. - Sep 24, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Not really. Clemens never faces the criminal trial if Rusty doesn’t let him go before Congress, and the defamation lawsuit is a mess and a half.

2. DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM

He’s fighting for his life

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM

So, does the MLBPA kick in on this thing? They are (or at least should be) an interested party to all of this.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I think they fall under “If you can not afford an attorney, one will be provided for you”

The CA Public Defenders Office didn’t pay for Cochran, Shapiro, Bailey, Dershowitz and Scheck. Same thing here, I would imagine

4. bosoxfan15 - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Just 6 more home runs and the Yanks bonus money will be paying for his legal team.

• theskinsman - Sep 24, 2013 at 6:54 PM

This Sox fan hopes he gets the 6 HR’s and the Yanks have to pay him every penny. He and that team are matched perfectly.

• badintent - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:35 PM

He sold his house in Miami for over $12 in profits, Dbag. You couldn’t afford his doghouse. Get off Yankee blogs and stick to your Red Sux. Who are they honoring this week ? The bum that threw a BA pitch to Bucky Dent ? Have another donut Boston Weak.

• theskinsman - Sep 27, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Another butt hurt yankoff troll. Enjoy watching the good teams play baseball while your heros retire or try to go to a good team in the off season.
        Hopefully A-Rod’s lawyers win,and the team continues to pay him every cent they agreed to.

• badintent - Sep 27, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Keep that Windex handy, your screen is still cloudy from all the jizz you’re shooting on it watching Arod getting his $6 million bonus passing Mays. If the Red Sux and Dodgers get to the big show, I’ll put down a C note on Magic’s team to beat them in 6. Talk about trades.I love the Irony. bostonweak

• theskinsman - Sep 28, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Didn’t you lose enough already betting your hero A-Rod would be suspended this season? How about yapping like a small dog how the yankoffs would win the division,er, get in the playoffs..or just suck so bad as to be an embarrassment?
        I just wish the season was a bit longer so the yanks could finish in the cellar.

5. Ben - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM

For some reason “man, I wish I was on the A-Rod case; I may fall short of my billable requirement this year and I could use the hours” was really evocative of the Hieronymous Bosch-esque hellscape that I imagine corporate law firms are.
    That’s a really bleak, bleak sentence. Well done.

• danrizzle - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Hieronymous Bosch. This is why I read the comments.

• cur68 - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Ben went to school. You can tell.

• ltzep75 - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Your imagination is spot on except Bosch used richer colors. Color is forbidden. It costs too much.

6. shaggylocks - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Instead of A-Rod scowling, couldn’t this story be accompanied by a photo of A-Rod cuddling with some kittens? I mean, I realize he’s History’s Greatest Monster and all, but c’mon y’all, kittens.

• zzalapski - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Centaurs like kittens…with butter.

• ilovegspot - Sep 24, 2013 at 6:17 PM

thye should put the picture of aroid kidding a mirror

7. goawaydog - Sep 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I would be curious when this whole thing is over if it would just have been cheaper to have taken the suspension.

• raysfan1 - Sep 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM

His pay in 2014 will be $25M. Even paying out over $100K a month in legal fees, he will save millions if the arbitrator reduces his suspension to 50 or even 100 games.

8. joestemme - Sep 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM

F#$# A-Roid.

9. coloradogolfcoupons - Sep 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM

If the legal team runs out of research options, they might decide to research suing Arod for besmirching the law firm’s name, him being the reincarnation of Joe Stalin, Hitler, Hannibal, and Genghis Khan

10. jayquintana - Sep 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Anyone doubt A-Rod’s going to win?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3433)