Sep 25, 2013, 4:29 PM EST
When someone is reported to have lost this much weight in the spring it’s BSOHL material. But when someone loses this much weight at the end of the year following an injury it’s just scary:
Terry Collins told reporters Bobby Parnell has lost 30 pounds since herniated disk ordeal began, but doctors believe he’ll be OK in spring.
— Adam Rubin (@AdamRubinESPN) September 25, 2013
Parnell was shut down in August with a herniated disk in his neck. Maybe some of the doctors in the house can tell us how someone loses 30 pounds as a result of a neck problem, but whatever it is, it doesn’t sound good.
Assuming he’s back to full strength in the spring, he should certainly be the Mets closer in 2014. Parnell saved 22 games with a 2.16 ERA and 44/12 K/BB ratio in 50 innings in 2013.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 12
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 40
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15