Sep 25, 2013, 4:29 PM EDT
When someone is reported to have lost this much weight in the spring it’s BSOHL material. But when someone loses this much weight at the end of the year following an injury it’s just scary:
Terry Collins told reporters Bobby Parnell has lost 30 pounds since herniated disk ordeal began, but doctors believe he’ll be OK in spring.
— Adam Rubin (@AdamRubinESPN) September 25, 2013
Parnell was shut down in August with a herniated disk in his neck. Maybe some of the doctors in the house can tell us how someone loses 30 pounds as a result of a neck problem, but whatever it is, it doesn’t sound good.
Assuming he’s back to full strength in the spring, he should certainly be the Mets closer in 2014. Parnell saved 22 games with a 2.16 ERA and 44/12 K/BB ratio in 50 innings in 2013.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)