Sep 25, 2013, 4:29 PM EST
When someone is reported to have lost this much weight in the spring it’s BSOHL material. But when someone loses this much weight at the end of the year following an injury it’s just scary:
Terry Collins told reporters Bobby Parnell has lost 30 pounds since herniated disk ordeal began, but doctors believe he’ll be OK in spring.
— Adam Rubin (@AdamRubinESPN) September 25, 2013
Parnell was shut down in August with a herniated disk in his neck. Maybe some of the doctors in the house can tell us how someone loses 30 pounds as a result of a neck problem, but whatever it is, it doesn’t sound good.
Assuming he’s back to full strength in the spring, he should certainly be the Mets closer in 2014. Parnell saved 22 games with a 2.16 ERA and 44/12 K/BB ratio in 50 innings in 2013.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)