Sep 25, 2013, 4:29 PM EDT
When someone is reported to have lost this much weight in the spring it’s BSOHL material. But when someone loses this much weight at the end of the year following an injury it’s just scary:
Terry Collins told reporters Bobby Parnell has lost 30 pounds since herniated disk ordeal began, but doctors believe he’ll be OK in spring.
— Adam Rubin (@AdamRubinESPN) September 25, 2013
Parnell was shut down in August with a herniated disk in his neck. Maybe some of the doctors in the house can tell us how someone loses 30 pounds as a result of a neck problem, but whatever it is, it doesn’t sound good.
Assuming he’s back to full strength in the spring, he should certainly be the Mets closer in 2014. Parnell saved 22 games with a 2.16 ERA and 44/12 K/BB ratio in 50 innings in 2013.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 18
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 14
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 79
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)