Sep 25, 2013, 4:29 PM EDT
When someone is reported to have lost this much weight in the spring it’s BSOHL material. But when someone loses this much weight at the end of the year following an injury it’s just scary:
Terry Collins told reporters Bobby Parnell has lost 30 pounds since herniated disk ordeal began, but doctors believe he’ll be OK in spring.
— Adam Rubin (@AdamRubinESPN) September 25, 2013
Parnell was shut down in August with a herniated disk in his neck. Maybe some of the doctors in the house can tell us how someone loses 30 pounds as a result of a neck problem, but whatever it is, it doesn’t sound good.
Assuming he’s back to full strength in the spring, he should certainly be the Mets closer in 2014. Parnell saved 22 games with a 2.16 ERA and 44/12 K/BB ratio in 50 innings in 2013.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)