Bud Selig on the Oakland Coliseum: “it’s a pit”

Sep 25, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT

Bud Selig AP

Bud Selig was on John Feinstein’s radio show. Unlike yesterday, today Feinstein left the opinion-offering to others. Good move! Selig was asked about a lot of things. Two of note. First the A’s stadium situation. Here’s what he said about the Colisuem

“It’s a pit,” Selig said. “It reminds me of old County Stadium and Shea Stadium. We need to deal with that. I’ve had a committee working on it for two or three years, and there’s no question we’re going to have to solve that problem.”

When? Well, there’s a lawsuit and that committee’s agenda is about as barren as the Mojave, but he’ll solve it, by gum.  I wish I thought the San Jose lawsuit had a better chance of succeeding and thus the antitrust exemption scuttled, but I’m highly skeptical. When it gets dismissed it’ll be back in Selig’s court and I suppose we’ll be waiting around forever again.

The second topic: a generic softball about Hank Aaron being the true home run king. It’s a topic I hate because it’s just designed for people to offer their judgment about PEDs. Which is fine as far as it goes, but it’s not so fine when their opinion of such matters causes them to pretend that certain things never happened. Note: MLB still recognizes Barry Bonds as the home run champ. You don’t have to like it. You don’t have to say that Bonds was better than Aaron in your view if you don’t want to. But you can’t wish away the actual records as matters of fact.

That said, I like Selig’s answer:

“Henry Aaron and I, as you know, have been extremely close friends for 58 years now; it’s hard to believe,” Selig said. “I believe he’s the greatest player of my generation. I saw him – I wish everybody could have seen him in the ’50s when he was young and not trying to pull everything. He was unbelievable to watch. Unbelievable. He’s a man of class, a man of dignity. He’s represented our sport beautifully, and his carer is legendary. I’m not going to say any more on that. You can figure out from my answer, I’m sure.”

Say what you want about Selig — and there’s a lot to say — but I like when he talks about this stuff because when he does it he sounds like a baseball fan. And he is a baseball fan. No matter what he’s done or not done, you can tell he loves the game. That, even if he’s the commissioner and views these things differently than I do, I could at least sit and have a baseball debate with him about it rather than have him be some joyless Bowie Kuhn type.

1. brianincbus - Sep 25, 2013 at 4:15 PM

If only there were a person with broad power, something along the lines of “the best interests of the game”, who could resolve the Oakland stadium situation. I mean he’d have to be some kind of “commissioner” authority figure. Then, all of our problems with the stadium would be solved. Oh well, back to trying to reach Allan via e-mail or Twitter.

• vanmorrissey - Sep 25, 2013 at 5:24 PM

You’ll never have that. You’re dealing with local communities and their dollars here, they have a right to decide the issue if they provide a large percentage of the funding.

• tablescrappy - Sep 25, 2013 at 9:32 PM

vanmorrissey: You know that the A’s intend to pay for the ballpark themselves, right? That’s been the plan for many years now.

• jrbdmb - Sep 25, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I thought that the main issues are all MLB-related – San Fran not wanting the A’s to move into “their” territory. Seems like something Selig could solve immediately if hea had any real power, as opposed to just being a schmuck for the owners.

• jrbdmb - Sep 25, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I thought that the main issues are all MLB-related – San Fran not wanting the A’s to move into “their” territory. Seems like something Selig could solve immediately if he had any real power, as opposed to just being a schmuck for the owners.

2. danbeachler - Sep 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Guy doesn’t even know how long the committee has been working on the issue:

Susan Slusser ‏@susanslusser 4m

For those unfamiliar with Selig’s committee on the A’s stadium situation, it was formed more than 4 1/2 years ago.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 25, 2013 at 4:51 PM

There’s must be a time dilation effect in Selig’s office…

3. dannystancato - Sep 25, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Hey Bud! If County Stadium was suck a dump, why did they film Major League there…….idiot. #VaughnsValley

4. onbucky96 - Sep 25, 2013 at 4:43 PM

What? F U Bud! I liked County Stadium. I caught 10 games a yr back then. Now I can afford 3 games a yr at Miller Park. The thing I don’t miss are the bathrooms. And the Seligs.

5. zerohandicapper - Sep 25, 2013 at 4:47 PM

This man hasdestroyed baseball, period. All of the crap we see today happened on his watch. I find it unreal that the owners still let this man run MLB. He is a failure.

• nategearhart - Sep 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM

What’s wrong with baseball? I like baseball.

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 25, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I like tacos.

6. zerohandicapper - Sep 25, 2013 at 4:47 PM

This man has destroyed baseball, period. All of the crap we see today happened on his watch. I find it unreal that the owners still let this man run MLB. He is a failure.

• qacm - Sep 25, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Is there an echo in here? …echo in here?

• moogro - Sep 25, 2013 at 6:59 PM

What’s wrong with baseball? I like baseball.

7. lew24 - Sep 25, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Jack London Square would be a great place to move the A’s. I just don’t see it happen though.

8. losangelesfan - Sep 25, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Move ‘em to Buffalo and rename them the Wings. Or, move ‘em to Memphis and call ‘em the Blues. This goes for the Rays, also.

9. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 25, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Leave it to Bud to tell us what we knew 4+ years ago

10. hookersdontsnuggle - Sep 25, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I’ve been going to the coliseum my whole life. I go to watch baseball and have never had an issue.

• Old Gator - Sep 25, 2013 at 11:37 PM

No one is pissing on your feet.

11. steelers88 - Sep 25, 2013 at 9:54 PM

NO SHIT.

12. anxovies - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Bud does sound like he is a baseball fan in that interview. Now, if he can only get that toupee on straight.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3881)