Sep 25, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski announced Wednesday evening that Jhonny Peralta is going to be activated from his 50-game performance-enhancing drug suspension this Friday — the first day that he is eligible to return. Danny Worth will be placed on the 60-day disabled list to open up a 40-man roster spot.
Jose Iglesias is nearly recovered from his bruised left hand and is likely to serve as Detroit’s primary shortstop in October. Peralta has been working in left field in instructional league games down in Florida and could get regular looks there this postseason.
Peralta, a client of Anthony Bosch and Biogenesis, was hitting .305/.361/.461 with 11 home runs and 54 RBI in 104 games before accepting MLB’s punishment without an appeal. He will be a free agent this winter.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)