Sep 25, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski announced Wednesday evening that Jhonny Peralta is going to be activated from his 50-game performance-enhancing drug suspension this Friday — the first day that he is eligible to return. Danny Worth will be placed on the 60-day disabled list to open up a 40-man roster spot.
Jose Iglesias is nearly recovered from his bruised left hand and is likely to serve as Detroit’s primary shortstop in October. Peralta has been working in left field in instructional league games down in Florida and could get regular looks there this postseason.
Peralta, a client of Anthony Bosch and Biogenesis, was hitting .305/.361/.461 with 11 home runs and 54 RBI in 104 games before accepting MLB’s punishment without an appeal. He will be a free agent this winter.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 45
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)