Sep 25, 2013, 4:53 PM EDT
This is the trailer for what could prove to be a fantastic documentary about a group of Cuban baseball players — including Yunel Escobar — who risked their lives to come to the United States:
The story is told through the eyes of Tampa Bay Rays shortstop, Yunel Escobar, with supporting commentary from his childhood friends who joined them on the journey. After a twelve-day plight that included going into hiding and having no contact with the outside world, swimming across crocodile-infested waters, and sailing into the dark of night with only one working motor, the men were only half-way there. A story of courage, strength, and perseverance, Escape 4 the Game will take you on a voyage so many make, yet few survive.
It’s just astounding how much people risk to leave Cuba. And it speaks loudly about the freedoms we have. People risk their lives every day for what we so often take for granted. Mind-blowing.
Probably worth remembering the next time the sports media and fandom start to get on a Cuban ballplayer for allegedly not “respecting the game.” Bah. They’ve known worse than most of us ever will. Maybe now they’re just enjoying themselves doing something that they risked everything to do.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)