Sep 25, 2013, 7:22 PM EDT
As had been expected, center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury is in the Red Sox starting lineup on Wednesday night against the Rockies for the first time in 16 games. He was diagnosed September 8 with a compression fracture in his right foot and there was some initial concern about whether he’d be able to return by the end of the season. But here we are.
Ellsbury, an impending free agent, was batting .299/.355/.424 with 52 stolen bases and 89 runs scored through 131 games this summer for the American League East champions. The 30-year-old client of Scott Boras is already in line for a massive payday, but a strong regular-season finish and productive October run would only help his bottom line.
Mike Napoli is out of Boston’s lineup Wednesday for a fourth straight game due to plantar fasciitis.
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 8
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 3
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 7
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 80
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (86)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)