Sep 25, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Mariners prospect Danny Hultzen was on the verge of the majors when shoulder problems derailed his season and now three months later he’s still hurting.
Jacob Thorpe of MLB.com reports that the former No. 2 overall pick will seek a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews after trying to throw in the Mariners’ instructional league led to a setback. And this quote from general manager Jack Zduriencik sounds awfully ominous:
[Team doctor] Ed [Khalfayan] saw him and quite frankly doesn’t like what he sees. He has every right to have a second opinion and Ed wants him to have a second opinion. We’ve been in touch with Dr. Andrews and we’re trying to work on getting him in there on Thursday and let them look at it, and make a decision at that time.
Compare that to a few months ago, when the Mariners insisted on using words like “minor” to describe his shoulder problems.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 21
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 117
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)