Sep 25, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
From the L.A. Times, a story about the state of Mike Trout’s eventual crazy-riches. Current status: no discussions yet about any kind of long term deal for arguably the best player in baseball.
He’s making just north of the minimum now, as the Angels only have him a token bump from last year’s minimum salary. Which was their right, and it is their right to do so once again for 2014. It’s quite possible that the most overall production in baseball for 2012-2014 will be had by the Angels for less than the cost of Erik Bedard or someone like him. After that, though, it’s gonna be riches city for Trout, be it via arbitration, where he’ll likely make eight figures for all three years, or via a long term deal which buys out arbitration and some amount of his free agency.
For now, though, Trout is playing it cool, talking up his love of Anaheim while signaling that the future is unclear and he would consider planting roots elsewhere if he had to some day.
If I’m the Angels I pay through the nose now, while you can lock up the productive years while letting someone else worry about his age-30+ years. But then again, the Angels haven’t exactly been afraid of age-30+ years recently. For whatever that has been worth.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)