MLB making print, video tributes to Mariano Rivera

Sep 25, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT

Not many retiring ballplayers get special recognition by Major League Baseball. I didn’t see Carlos Lee and Scott Proctor getting this treatment. But Mariano Rivera is a special case. Here’s the ad which will run in Thursday’s USA Today, New York Daily News, New York Post andMetro NY:

source:

And here’s a video tribute produced by MLB Video.

OK, maybe Miguel Cairo got this treatment. I seem to remember something like that for Miguel Cairo. I’m too busy to check, though.

1. rickdobrydney - Sep 25, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Impressive —that pic was taken at the moment he would pause right before he would pitch — and he did it every time — a quiet moment of reflection at the back of the mound—–

2. ireportyoudecide - Sep 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Hard to dominate a generation when you pitch 60 innings a year. Although don’t tell Ruben Amaro Jr that.

3. deadeyedesign23 - Sep 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Jesus this is so out of hand.

• crackersnap - Sep 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Buckle up. This is all merely prototyping for Jeter.

• deadeyedesign23 - Sep 25, 2013 at 9:40 PM

You’re not kidding. If he announces in spring training it’ll be his last season I’m gonna join the peace corp just to get out of town

4. rbj1 - Sep 25, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Craig, you’re forgetting the full length feature film for Luis Sojo when he retired.

5. Jason @ IIATMS - Sep 25, 2013 at 3:59 PM

If I weren’t a Yanks fan, I’d be a bit sick of this, too. But to the rest of you, please keep in mind that only a part of the deification of Mo is on-field-related. It’s just as much, if not wholly more, about him off the field. What he does, how he holds himself to an impossibly high standard, what he does for others and charity, etc.

So feel free to hate the endless accolades, if you must, but at least acknowledge that this is about honoring a great person.

6. spiderrob8 - Sep 25, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Im very surprised, even as a huge Yankee fan, at all this. i certainly get the Yankees honoring him, although retiring his number without waiting a year or two while still pitching is odd.

and i guess if other teams want to honor him here and there ok. I’d expect maybe teams he had a history with players who respect him (Red Sox etc) but not every single team they played.

But he’s not the only all time great/good person to retire. Have any of them had farewell tours anything like this? or is this going to be the new standard for the beloved greats?

• rbj1 - Sep 25, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I have seen them in the past, but I can’t recall them at the moment. Maybe it was in the 1980s

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I know you are referring to his 42 plaque and all, but technically did they really retire his number? Wasn’t 42 technically retired by all of MLB, and he was given an exemption? So, can the team technically retire a number that MLB already retired? Not trying to be a smartass or a nitpick here, just pondering one of those chicken and the egg type of things.

• forsch31 - Sep 25, 2013 at 9:14 PM

The Cardinals retired Bruce Sutter’s 42 in 2006, nearly a decade after the league-wide retiring of Robinson’s 42. So, they share the number (in the outfield, where the Cardinals have the numbers on the wall, it says Robinson/Sutter underneath it). So, yeah, they can do it.

7. bowwserr - Sep 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM

@spiderrob — someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the Yankees didn’t retire the number for him. He was the last to have it after they retired the number league-wide for Jackie Robinson.

• forsch31 - Sep 25, 2013 at 9:16 PM

The Yankees officially retired it on September 22. That was what the pregame ceremony was about.

8. henryd3rd - Sep 25, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I can still hear the negative comments that were being made when the Yankees allowed John Wetteland to walk and assign the closer’s role to Mariano. There was wailing and gnashing of teeth. Sports Radio hosts Mike and the Mad Dog were at each other’s throats during one broadcast and the Mad Dog a Giant fan was reveling in the angst displayed by Yankees’ fans. Sixteen years later and a sure first ballot Hall of Fame selection for Mariano; former GM Bob Watson and present GM Brian Cashman must have a smug look on their faces each time they think of how that decision worked out.

9. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 25, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Look, yes he changed the game and was the most dominant closer ever, but yea this stuff is getting a little out of hand. The teams and the Yankees can do whatever they want, but it’s not really right for MLB as an organization to get involved here. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth to watch them single out one person here. What about the rest of the thousands upon thousands of players before him and after him? Babe Ruth didn’t get this treatment. Neither did Hank Aaron, Cal Ripken, Barry Bonds, Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, Stan Musial, Walter Johnson, Greg Maddox, Mickey Mantle, Lou Gehrig, and countless others. What makes Mo better than all of them?

And it’s not a slight against Mo in any way, shape, or fashion. I have the utmost respect and admiration for the man. He’s hands down the greatest relief pitcher to ever play the game. Again, the teams individually can do as they please. But for MLB to get involved as if he is the second coming, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

• ireportyoudecide - Sep 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Yes, he was a very good relief pitcher, but honestly has he been better or more valueable then someone like Todd Helton? If you could both sign them as 22 year olds for 10 years 100 million and their careers played out exactly as they did I think Helton would be the one most GM’s would take. I don’t think either is one of the top 100 players of all time though. This is just total overkill and I assume when Jeter retires it will be the same thing.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I assume that Jeter retiring will set off the apocalypse.

“And a river of fan-boy tears shall destroy the city with the biggest ego. And the sky shall darken as memorabilia rains down upon us. Cats will befriend dog, the poor shall seek justice, and the markets of stock will come tumbling down as ratings and ticket sales ascend into hell.”

I’m pretty sure that’s in Revelations somewhere.

10. jdillydawg - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:34 AM

I think that ad only goes out to the first 18,000 subscribers tho…

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet